inTank Media Baskets

Power generators

aph

So my power went out yesterday. I had to evacuate my tank (20G) and move everything into a 6.5G and get it to my friend's house since the weather was going to dip under 50 degrees. Everything made it just fine, but I would love to avoid this situation in the future.

I want to look into buying a small generator, but I don't know hardly anything about them. I was wondering, do any of you guys have a generator specifically for your tank? I just want it to be able to run my filter/heater/lights/etc. overnight in case another storm knocks out my power for a full day. I was looking to buy a 'small' one if that's possible.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I figure this is the perfect time for any of you that don't have a generator to consider buying one. With the cold season on the horizon, now is the time to prepare!

you can get small ones at auto parts stores like pepboys/kragen etc. there is like a 1000 watt one thats a 2 cycle engine (so you'll have to mix gas and 2 cycle oil) thats like $100. should be enough power for your tank and maybe a light for you and the tank. just don't excede the watts or amp rating of the generator with whatever you plug in. I would also HIGHY rcmd pluging all items into a surge protector as opposed to directly into the generator, as surges are common in cheaper generators

something like THIS

Definately don't buy a cheap generator and have it break down after 20 minutes. Thats usually the case with cheap ones go for a Honda or Briggs and Stratton. I bought mine from Lowes for $300.00 it's a Briggs and Stratton 3250 watts.

I bought one for my fish room after hurricane Charley. I bought a briggs and stratton 5500. I will run all life support for my fishroom of 36 tanks. May not be able to run all the lights but filtration skimmer and such will work as normal

Archived