Innovative Marine Aquariums

Spray bar

ODOG

Someone in another topic asked about a spraybar.  Here is the one I made.  

RemovedPowerheadsHomemadeSpraybar.jpg

It is a 1/2" ID piece of plastic tube I bought at home depot for $2 (for 5').  I drilled it with a 1/4" bit.  I also had to heat the end over the stove for a few seconds in order for it to soften enough to fit over the powerhead outflow.

Don't forget the endcap.

(Edited by ODOG at 8:51 pm on Aug. 19, 2001)

what hagen powerhead is that?

i have some 1/2 pvc laying around that fits on a 302 (hagen) but the tip is square and the pipe is round.  guess i could just silicon it or something

also, are spraybars really that good?

later

Lunchbucket

I think it is a 201, I'll check when I get home.  My 1/2" tube was a hair too tight when I tried to put it on, so I heated it over my stove for like 5 seconds and it softened enough to get it on.

It worked real well when I first put it on, but when I removed it the other day coralline had grown over a few of the holes.  It was only spraying out about half the tube.

• 3 weeks later...

A keyis to make fewer holes further apart but larger, 3/8" or better, but you're still gonna have to clean the coraline off, just like everything else.

That's one of the reasons so many people don't like the powersweep powerheads, because you need to clean them internal and external about every two weeks.

• 6 months later...
quiksilver5768

I tried out a spray bar on my penguin 660 powerhead which pumps 180gph and barely any movement of water came out of the holes. Should i make another one with less but bigger holes because i drilled several small holes in the one i tried to use. And also, are they hard to take care of and clean because if im going to have to clean it out every week then i would rather just stick with the powerhead by itself....

when i made my plexi nano i made the spray bar like a rectangle ,running a maxi 900 havent had to clean the spray yet  2 months,you can also buy plexi tube a 5/8 6ft  length cost me under 4 bucks and thes are hawaii prices, some times they may have a piece laying around

last month I got a 3-1/2 dia tube for 5 bucks and it was just under 2 ft -- I turned it into a nitrate reducer

Archived