Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

comprehensive water testing

reefdan

a few months back i saw a thread on here with links to services for comprehensive water testing.

the site listed tested something like 50 compounds after you send in a sample.

i am googling but can only find stuff for streams and wells, nothing reef specific.

anyone bookmark the site?

thanks,

daniel

Responded to your PM

Mark

p.s. Thats it by the way.

thanks for getting back to me.

i think this will be a good way to verify my test kits as well as look at a bunch of other stuff i have no clue about (boron, stronium, others)

40 bucks though... stiff!

the site provides a nice analysis of salt mixes for those interested

http://www.aquariumwatertesting.com/AWT_Sa...alysis_0208.pdf

After having worked in an analytical lab for 10 years, I can tell you that $40 for a comprehensive test is not going to get you much in terms of accuracy. A full-blown test of everything that we would test for in our tanks (NO3, NO2, NH3, PO4, trace metals, DOC, etc etc...) would run in the hundreds of dollars if run on proper analytical machines in a real lab. Also, sending in a sample in an unsterilized, unpreserved bottle will not work well with some analyses.

After having worked in an analytical lab for 10 years, I can tell you that $40 for a comprehensive test is not going to get you much in terms of accuracy. A full-blown test of everything that we would test for in our tanks (NO3, NO2, NH3, PO4, trace metals, DOC, etc etc...) would run in the hundreds of dollars if run on proper analytical machines in a real lab. Also, sending in a sample in an unsterilized, unpreserved bottle will not work well with some analyses.

that's a bust. good thing i haven't sent them any money.

i think they run 14 tests. i am going to have to check out the RC posts. grrr...

I've done it, and found it not terribly helpful. My test kits at home were in the same ball park results wise, so I'd rather test on my own and for cheaper.

masterbuilder

Same experience as Phixion. I guess its not a bad way to verify your own tests, thats what I used it for. I did it only once and was not overly impressed...not saying it was bad...just nothing special.

I'm looking for same thing. I just wanted to test the quality of water coming out of RO/DI unit, not necissarily my tank water. I would primarily be concerned about TDS, Phosphate, Silicate. My phosphate test 0, but don't have TDS meter or silicate test. Anybody out there be willing to test sample if you have tests/equipment just to ballpark quality? PM me, I would be willing to pay something....

Archived