Cultivated Reef

Sump

ap123

I had already purchased a 20L during the Petco sale, thinking I would set up a freshwater tank for the kiddos while saving for my reef. Then I got a great deal on a 45g setup with a 10g sump underneath from DCG1285--newly filled with saltwater and had my first disaster with the dog already ;)

Question: Is there any reason I should or shouldn't use the 20L for a sump instead of the 10? My thought had been to set up the 20L freshwater anyway, but dh isn't on board to have two tanks running. Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks Stevie. :)

Anyone else?

I just finished building my 10 gallon sump for my 5.5. But I'm just trying to be safe. 10 gallons is plenty for a 45, especially if that means you don't need to build another one!

Thanks for answering Codeman. :)

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I'm not sure what you mean by building a sump. Wouldn't I just switch what's in the current sump to the new one? :huh:

I think I just burned out my return pump (I was putting in the live rock, and siphoned water out first so it wouldn't spill over, and then I'm not really sure what I did wrong :o ), so if I'm going to change it, this seems like the perfect time, when I don't have water running in or out.

Question: Is there any reason I should or shouldn't use the 20L for a sump instead of the 10? My thought had been to set up the 20L freshwater anyway, but dh isn't on board to have two tanks running. Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?

I was torn between using a 10 or a 5.5 as my sump, and i went with the 5.5. Now I'm regretting it because I could use the extra sump space. Just think about the equipment your going to use and keep future upgrades in mind. Also maintenance is always easier when there is more room to work.

Thanks for answering Codeman. :)

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I'm not sure what you mean by building a sump. Wouldn't I just switch what's in the current sump to the new one? :huh:

I think I just burned out my return pump (I was putting in the live rock, and siphoned water out first so it wouldn't spill over, and then I'm not really sure what I did wrong :o ), so if I'm going to change it, this seems like the perfect time, when I don't have water running in or out.

I meant building baffles and all that into the 20L. All the measuring, cutting and siliconing is time consuming and a pretty big PITA, IME.

But that sucks about your pump, what kind is it? I just installed mine in the sump and haven't been able to configure it correctly, it is pumping faster than my overflow, details in my tank thread, help would be great if anyone has ideas, thanks.

Great point steve0xr. Pretty much the conclusion I'm coming to.

Umm, Codeman, Your sump sounds a lot more polished than mine. :huh: Right now I've got egg crate separating the different parts/sections.

Great news about my return pump--I of course, was in a panic when it wasn't working. I called DCG1286, he's in my neighborhood and I bought the system from him. He came over, and turns out that it just had sand in it, so it's now working just fine. B)

I just put up a tank thread today, no pics but I think it has all the specs.

Thanks for posting, guys. :D

Archived