inTank Media Baskets

Clownfish lost the ich battle. Now what?

Steve-Ward.net

Steve-Ward.net

I've had my 10g nano up for over three months now and have had a blast with it.

Today my beloved clownfish died of ich (24 hours after setting up a whole QT system :P There goes $60 to save a $20 fish) . I just noticed the disease a few days ago, and got him in a QT yesterday. Was feeling optimistic because it seemed in good spirits. No itching, no labored breathing, etc. In fact, it seemed to rather enjoy the barren tank, swimming all over, instead of weirdly staying within three inches of the surface at all times, like it did the entire time I owned it. Was playing in the current of the new powerhead too.

I had just barely started lowering the salinity (down to SG of 1.0205), but when I woke up this morning, had lost it's appetite and swimming sporadically.

A few hours later, was convulsing, swimming upside down, in circles, etc.

Anyway, if my understanding is correct, I need to wait about 30 days before re-stocking so the ich can go through it's life cycle.

In the mean time, I will be thinking what to do for fish next. Just before the clownfish came down with ich, I had been considering breeding it, so I may decide to go through with that, but buying two new juveniles, possibly even already paired. I've done lots of reading on it already, so have a good idea of what to expect.

Of course, they'd be the smallest I can find too, considering I've just got two 10g's (one for the two parents, one for the fry).

Or, I could do something completely different. I've had a variety of ideas, including a single dwarf fumanchu lionfish if I can get ahold of one.

Basically, I'm still a beginner nanoreefer, but looking for the next challenge. Gotta stay cheap though. I'm just a poor grad student :*(

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Steve, I'd be wary of the Foo fish, I've been told min tank size is 30g, as far as what to do with your tank... We just picked up a couple of clowns that have been in tank at LFS together for at least a month now, that's kind of fun. The best thing we got (for a different tank) is a high finned red banded goby that paired with a tiger pistol shrimp. It has been so much fun watching that crazy shrimp make his little (maybe not so little) den and the relationship between the two species. I'd definately look into that.

sorry to burst your bubble but you will need more than just 2 10 gallon tanks to breed clowns. the juveniles you buy will take a while to grow out, pair up and then finnally breed (they may never breed).

you will need phyto to feed your rotifier cultures. i recommend you get the book clownfish by...ahk i forgot i think its joyce wilkins). the adults would probably need larger than a 10 gallon also. the adult female can attain a length of 4 inches. check out reefcentral.com go to the clownfish&anemones forum and do some reading. you will find out exactly what you need and how difficult it is. i'm not dicouraging you, but do a bit more research.

good luck

btw ich is always present in the tank, but healthy fish have a strong immune system and dont get infected. stressed fish or newly aquired fish have a weaker immune system, thus the infestations.

Steve-Ward.net

Yeah, after recent research, I'm not so hot on the breeding idea, but still might try to find a small pair to put in the tank.

I also knew about the ich being ever-present in the tank. Thing is, I just had a substantial move (approx 110 miles) that I think put everything in my tank under some stress. I thought all was well since it had been three weeks and everything was looking good, but then the clownfish dies... :(

I've heard that about the Fumanchu too, but is that the dwarf? Or are all of the "Fu" nominclature the same thing?

I will check out the goby and shrimp relationship, but it seems like I've read that it is difficult to get them to pair up? I will have to do some more reading on that.

Archived