Top Shelf Aquatics

Fixing a BIG leak

Dragon Reef

Dragon Reef

All,

I have a 20 tall with the seal messed up. I am looking for some direction in the best way to fix it. I know that Chris builds his own from scratch, so I am hoping that you will reply with some tricks of the trade. I have never been good with silicon, I guess I will learn. :smile: Do I have to remove all of the silicon from the entire bottom or can I fix only the area affected. Also the issue is in a corner, so I might be better of with stripping the entire tank. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dave

I had a 30 gal that leaked on the side and I stripped it from top to bottom on that side and re siliconed it with the allglass aquarium sealer.  Worked great for me be it seems to be a lot of work getting the old silicon out of the crack totally.  good luck!!

--ledford--

quiksilver5768

When my 55 gal FW tank leaked in the corner, I took the tank down and just added a layer of silicone. A BIG layer of silicone over the old. I didnt rip out the old one. It has worked fine for me. :)

NanoReefer53

Like explained on my site, i use to have a 20g tall that burst a leak.

It was very old and used (cheap, that's y i bought it) so it sprung a leak in no time. I sealed it up with non-toxic bathroom sealant and it worked out good. The only thing is that since this was the old style tanks it only had the pieces of glass siliconed instead of a sheet of it on the inside corners. Only reason why it leaked again was because it looks like s*** w/ a fat glob of silicone on the outside to i trimmed it down causing another leak.

best way I have luck when resealing tanks is to cut out as much of the sislicone as possible with out tearing down the tank,leave that little bit in between both pieces ans run a bead over the corner, where the two peices intersect .you can tear down the tank and start from scratch but it easier just to clean the corner out and reseal from there , another trick to get clean joints .ie smooth beads is to use alittle soap and water and dip your finger tip in itand then run your finger over the sislicone before it dries.this will keep the silicone from sticking to your finger ,it only has to be a light soapy solution

Archived