Pod Your Reef

Newbie 11 gallon Via Aqua YA BABY!!

sirhobbes

Okay, heres my second attempt at saltwater fish keeping.

This is an 11 gallon via aqua the following:

36 watt CF lighting

CPR bak pak skimmer

13 gallons LR

1 rio 200 powerhead

I just set this up today. I am having a hell of a problem with the bubbles being let in through the skimmer, despite my repeated attempts at adjusting the foam insert which is supposed to block it. Along with this, the powerhead running the skimmer is loud. I traced the sound to the airline, it sounds like a slurping sound, I cant get rid of it. Im hoping both of these problem will go away after a day or so of letting the equipment wear in.

Also, the guy at the shop gave me this anenome on the rock, it seems to be doing fine so far, Im not sure what type it is, its opened up a bit.

give me some feedback.

I put the powerhead down on the bottom figuring its good to have current in the tank.... but i also hear its good to have it disturbing the surface water.... any opinions?

i have a heater like that.. but my temp setting is off! i'll set it at 70 and the water temp will be at 80... or vice versa. but for some pple, they have no problems with it at all. overall it is a good heater.

jrlim..... Um, that defeats, In my opinion, the point of having a nano reef. I dont want to run all that ######, plus no room for it, those cabinets are full.

I read that the bubbles in the water has to do with the surface tension, and that after the tank cycles for a while the problem should go down. otherwise I will buy a bubble trap for it.... MORE CRAP FOR THE TANK THO....

What should i put the lighting hours at.... ive just been leaving the lights on as long as i want to watch the tank and turning them off at night

If you just set up your tank today you will probably lose that anemone. IMO you should take it back to your LFS and see if they will hold it for you at the very least. Your tank needs to cycle before you can add any livestock. And anemones need a stable, mature tank. Or if you have a friend who will hold it for you...

Anyway, I like your rockwork. Looks good!:)

That is a tube anemone. They don't need much light if I remember right. They can be amazing, but I think there is a reason why your LFS gave you the anemone. I don't think you should have any fish in the tank as long as you have that anemone. That type always traps your fish, and clowns hosting in it? Nope, they'd just become food. Take it back to the LFS, if you want fish. The only fish it can't eat are too big for nanos. But, if you want to keep it, you should add a group of them. That would look awesome. By the way, anyone please correct me abouttube anemones and light.

Maroonclown, if it is a tube anemone, you're right. They do not require much light but are considered very aggressive. They will eat any fish that happens by. I think no matter whay type it is, it should go back to the LFS. Get your tank cycled and stable and then start adding livestock. Just my $.02...

the guy told me that it is super hardy and will survive the cycling. It has been kicking ass so far. I guess someone pulled it out of the ocean here. Im going to figure out where and maybe stock a bunch in there, it sucks they eat fish tho.

Any advice on the bubbles?

Not sure why if you are using the foam block. Does the block fill up the whole space?

Another thing to consider with having any type of anemone in a nano. They are mobile creatures. So even if it's not a fish eater, it will move around and sting any other corals you happen to have near it. I have a BTA in my 72 gallon and it hadn't moved for 6 months and lately it started to travel a bit. Caused me to move several corals that it was stinging. This can really be a problem in a smaller tank.

the block fills the whole space.... the bubbles are kind of going away as i let it cycle tho.....

I will get rid of this anenome once i decide to add fish....

is it alright to add a fish in while the tank is cycling if i remove the anenome?

I want to get a maroon clown for it.... could i cycle with one of those guys?

maybe a green chromis just for now would be a better choice

~bob

You should wait until your tank finishes cycling before adding any fish. Cycle tank, add clean up crew, add livestock (slowly). That's how I've always seen it done. Depending on whether or not your rock was fully cured when you bought it, your cycle period could be as short as a couple of weeks.

I think a maroon ( I call them morons) gets too big and agressive for an 11 gallon. Go for a nice percula or ocellaris clown. My maroon is in a 20 long, and he is only an inch and a half long. He is the most agressive fish I have ever seen!

I agree with maroonclown. I had a maroon in my 72 gal. She became so aggressive we had to sell her. She was easily 4 inches when we got rid of her and picked a fight with every fish she could! Now I have a nice pair of Clarkii's.

That's a nice looking tank! My .02$ on it would be, wait 2 months for the rock to cycle, add your clean up crew then another 4 months for the algae to finish dying down or as close to that as you can stand to do, then add your livestock. A couple ideas on the asthetics of the tank, you might find some people on Reef Central that have modified their CPR to reduce the bubbles, and that might lead you to someone who has modified it to contain a heater. If you don't want to risk damage to your CPR, you might check with a local plastics shop they might be able to make you a black U shaped piece of acrylic to cover it. If it was open on the top and bottom it would still circulate heat, I'd think.

When everything is cycled (through the algae cycle), and your coraline takes off. Start thinking about what type of additives you will use. Also, if you've got inverts in there, hermits, etc. I think you'll need something with iodine/iodide eventually. I read something about how this isn't connected, over on reef central, but from my own experiences and observation on tank health, it does.

Also, what about fans for cooling? Will temperature be a problem in the Spring/Summer? Evaporation? How about a float switch and water top off system?

My additional .02$ would be spend the wait time while your tank is cycling figuring out all the things you can to make it even more of a success. You started out with such a good choice of equipment, you could really go far with it.

Archived