Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dark red slime algae all over everything!!!

bneyman

Yea, I'll definately do that 1st, also I'll probably switch my CC to LS, should I try to get rid of the slime before I switch my CC out or should I do it all at the same time? Switch CC to LS during water change, then dose with chemi-clean, then add more cleanup crew? Or just use chemi-clean, then switch out my CC?

I would use Chemi-clean for one to two doses. Each dose takes about 48 hours. The CC requires a 20% water change after each dose and you have to remove all filter media while it is in. You should see a HUGE improvement after two doses, maybe even one.

After that, I would switch out your CC to LS, let that sit for a while then add more cleanup crew. I am not sure if the LS will give you a small ammonia cycle.

Also, the most important thing out of all of this is to never use tap water again. Only RO/DI and get some phosphate pads in there to get the phosphate levels down since I would suspect they are pretty high.

After you get everything a little more stable, I would go with Masoch's advice and try to keep everything in check naturally rather than chemically.

Good luck.

Well, it looks like thats what I'll do then, get some chemi-clean and RO/DI water from my LFS, dose, water change, dose again if needed, water change, then swap out CC for LS. After that gets all settled I'll start adding a better cleanup crew, the only thing is my LFS sucks when it comes to those kind of critters. :angry: They rarely even have turbo snails, guess I'll have to find another place. Thank all you guys for all the advice and help!! It is greatly appreciated!!

:)

Just a couple more things to add -- the more processed the food you're giving your critters, the more likely it is to have phosphate. Flake, while convenient, has boatloads. And, if you go to the expense of LS, definitely ditch the hermits.

Good luck!

I would only use ro/di water. It is widely available at most grocery stores in gallon jugs and is worth the extra comfort of knowing there are no impurities.

OK, went to my LFS today and bought some stuff to help out. Here's what I did, my LFS doesn't have alot of the things that were mentioned, so I got some different things. I'm going to start ordering from pet wharehouse or something.

1. Water change with RO/distilled water. (store didn't have RO/DI)

2. Added a Phos-zorb pouch to my filter where the biowheel used to be. (LFS didn't have Seagel or any phosphate pads)

3. Started using some Kent's poly-ox for removal of red slime to temporarily nuke the stuff. (until everything else kicks in.)

4. Cut the light cycle back to 10 hrs a day.

5. Not feeding as much/often.

I am currently using a the frozen formula 1 1x daily, and occasional frozen brine or mysis shrimp)

Hope this starts helping. My LFS employs a bunch of idiots, they really couldn't help me with any suggestions, and have never even heard of chemi-clean, or phosphate pads. When I asked her for the above mentioned, she just kinda looked at me dumbfounded. I've got to start ordering supplies online, as my LFS is VERY expensive, and has no selection. Spent $60 on phos-zorb, poly-ox, novaqua, a box of IO for 25 gallons, and 3 pak filters for the eclipse 12. :o

Mail order!

You can beat your head against a wall at your local LFS, or you can have 1-stop shopping via mail-order. What you pay in shipping you make up by saving your sanity.

Most of the snails I mentioned are available at ETropicals.com, and they also have live sand. A pound should probably be enough for your tank.

I was wondering, should I suspend the carbon filtration while using the poly-ox or not? It says on the bottle that it is recommended, but since I just did the water change today, I didn't know if it would screw up the water chemistry. Also, with the addition of the phos-zorb, would that affect it or not? It says that it recomends the suspension of all carbon and resin filtration, but if I was to remove the phos-zorb, I would no longer be removing any phosphates that were building up during the use of tap water, since I have switched to RO/distilled water. Any suggestions?:unsure:

if poly-ox is like chemi-clean, you will want to remove all filter media including carbon and phosphate pads. I wouldn't worry about the two days that the dosage usually takes. Just get as much killed off as possible, do the 20% water change then add your carbon and phosphate pads back in. Removing the carbon filter is not going to mess up your water chemistry. Many people don't use carbon at all.

I am sorry is phos-zorb a type of filter media or a liquid/powder addition to the tank? If it isn't filter media, then I am not sure how it will react with Poly-ox as I am unfamiliar with both products.

I'm thinking the poly-ox takes a little longer than chemi-clean to work. It says treatment can last up to 10 days, and the dosage is only 3 drops per 10 gallons. So you think it would be advisable to go ahead and remove the filter and phos-zorb until I see changes with the poly-ox?

oh so it is like a media bag. I would yank that and the carbon for the full dose time of the poly-ox. Chemi-clean says it takes 48 hours per dose. Not sure what the poly-ox says. If it is anything like Chemi-clean you should see DRAMATIC reduction after one to two doses. After that do the recommended water change and put your carbon and phosphate bag back in.

Do you have a phosphate test kit? If so, whats your value? If not, you should get one so you can keep it in check now and in the future.

I'm thinking the poly-ox takes a little longer than chemi-clean to work. It says treatment can last up to 10 days, and the dosage is only 3 drops per 10 gallons. So you think it would be advisable to go ahead and remove the filter and phos-zorb until I see changes with the poly-ox?

Didn't see that message sorry. I would just keep the filter media and phos-zorb out for that time span then.

OK, thanks so much for the info, hopefully, oneday, my tank will look as beautiful as yours!! I'll yank the filter and phos-zorb right now! My LFS didn't have any phosphate test kits, so I'm going to order a kit. I have a catalog from pet warehouse and was thinking about ordering a kit for phosphate, calcium, and carbonate hardness when I place an order, along with the arag-alive. That will have to wait until next payday, though, on the 1st!!

Thats a good idea to get those test kits. Once you get this phosphate/algae stuff in check, you will want to start balancing your calcium and hardness to prevent big pH swings.

Good luck! I am sure your tank will look great within a short time and as always a lot of money!

Well, with all you help, and my money, things should start to be getting better! I've removed the eclipse filter and phos-zorb, and am testing my water now for nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, and Ph, and will test it later on tonight and daily to monitor what the removal of my filter does. Hopefully ther won't be much change. I really appreciate all your help! :happy: I would have been lost without your help! You've been great!:)

Archived