ReefCleaners.org

Bio-Cube issue

CodeBlue

Having a problem with a BC14 I have. Fish keep getting sucked in the lower intake grate. I have tried putting some open celled foam (used in the largest aquaclear). But now its disrupted the the flow too much and its spilling over the entire divider.

Any suggestions i should try next, besides getting larger fish?

Are you sure they are getting sucked in? They may be jumping over. I've had two fish get in the back chambers. Both fish are to big to get sucked in. Some people use gutter guard or egg crate to make a divider.

I agree with Troldoll. I woudn't think the openings in the intake would be wide enough to suck in fish, unless you have some really tiny fish! I had some clownfish in my BC29 that would end up in the rear chambers by jumping over in it. I solved the problem by getting some plastic gutter guard from Lowes and cutting it to fit. No more chamber diving! Good Luck!

I agree with Troldoll. I woudn't think the openings in the intake would be wide enough to suck in fish, unless you have some really tiny fish! I had some clownfish in my BC29 that would end up in the rear chambers by jumping over in it. I solved the problem by getting some plastic gutter guard from Lowes and cutting it to fit. No more chamber diving! Good Luck!

+1 Gutter guard. Had a BC29, used eggcrate and gutter guard to prevent fish from jumping in the back.

Only fish that is probably small enough to fit through the intake, green banded goby or something equivalent. Don't worry too much about that.

-David

Okay,.. to further explain it. I have 2 BC14's.. one FW and one SW. It is my FW i'm having the problems with. Small enough fish are getting through. Just wondering if anyone has used anything else to block the intakes without disrupting the flow too much. The tank has no issue with fish jumping, as I have watched the fish get sucked through. If they do start jumping, i'll be all over the gutter guard stuff.

Archived