inTank Media Baskets

Dead coralline algae?

chrisc

Hi, my 10G has been sitting away with about 9kg of live rock now for about 2 weeks. Nitrates, 'trites both seem to be at 0, and the tank is looking quite happy (new things keep on crawling out of the live rock each night, even seem to have some odd tiny little plants growing on one of the live rock chunks)...

I'm really quite worried by the hours I've already wasted watching my mini feather dusters ;)

More seriously, whilst this could just be paranoia on my part, I think a couple of patches of coralline algae on my live rock may be dying - they've turned a very deep rusty brown colour. Does coralline algae go brown when it dies?

To be honest, I guess I'm not suprised if it is the algae dying, my photoperiod is only about 4 hours (2x24W PC - I know it's not a lot, but it was the most I could fit into the flat-back hex shape hood).

Anyway, it'd be good to know if I should be concerned about this or not. I don't want to go increasing the photoperiod too much without anything in the tank lest the hair algae etc gets too much of a hold.

Cheers,

Chris.

Could be an algae unto itself an not actually the coralline dying. But then again rolling out my favorite Physh1 Disclaimer of Death blast, "Or it could be dying".

You write your trites and trates are zero. How about the ammonia itself? Did it rise and zero out? 2 weeks isn't a long time to cycle. And stuff does grow and die off during a cycle. PAtience my friend is rewarded!

Haven't tested the ammonia recently, it's a 20min test ;), and I sort of figured if the trates and trites were ~0 it was pretty much bound to be low itself anyway.

To be honest, I'm sort of sceptical it's finished cycling I guess - I tested once a couple of days after putting everything in - Ammonia was just into the 'dangerous' level (according to the little chart ;), and nitrates nitrites both showed mid-level readings (I forget the exact values). Tested it again the end of the week and everything was much lower, but still 'on the scale' so to speak. Right now (another few days on), nitrites aren't measuring at all and nitrates are ;) to buy much more for the tank for a couple of weeks yet, so there's no rush.

Hopefully I'll not get too many more brown spots appearing :)

A bunch of my corraline bleached to white during my cycle, some of it came back, some of it was overtaken by hair algae.

I have a 10g with 96W CF, the stuff on top got too much light most likely.

Archived