inTank Media Baskets

Drop in salanity level

w1dude

What are you using to measure your salinity? If it's not a refractometer I would recommend getting one.

pinpoint salinity monitor. Suppose to be better

evap would not cause a drop in salinity, nor would an auto top off keep it from happening. I would check the probe, your salinity really shouldn't drop like that. It should get higher if anything.

I would def calibrate the probe, check the batteries, and make sure it is clean. You really should not see a drop in salinity unless you are using a protein skimmer this can happen at times when water gets into the skimmer cup and you add top off water.

evap would not cause a drop in salinity

over top off with fresh... the OP isn't giving enough detail to pinpoint the situation.

Are you skimming very wet? The skimmer skims out salt water and is replace by freshwater from your ATO. If you are skimming a good bit out and its a smaller tank then this could really change the balance.

I found out the problem. The calibration fluid i used is off. I ordered 3 bottles off it and they all were different. So when i calibrated it to the fluid then tested my tank it just gave me an innacurated reading. American Marine said they would hook me up with more fluid but I am scared of it now

BTW: no skimmer

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't trust the stuff, you could back check it with your own. Here's how using the directions I posted earlier.......

The PINPOINT Salinity Monitor should first be calibrated with a 0.3% salt fluid. Prepare this fluid by mixing 11.4 grams of pure uniodized table salt (Kosher Salt) with 3,785mL (1 gallon) of distilled or deionized water.

Archived