Pod Your Reef

L/R enough to cycle??

Rebecca

I don't think I'll be able to get any L/S. I might be able to get some L/R. Would that be enought to start my cycle?? Or do I have to buy a fish to get it going??

You can cycle w/ any amount of either but you have to remember that if you add more rock later it may have to cycle again. If you plan on getting the rest of your rock and sand w/in the next few weeks you'll probably be ok but try to add as much as possible at once.

Cameron

I plan on getting all of my live rock and my sand at the same time. I just can't seem to find any live sand on the net in Canada. If I do find it it's always WAY too much.

You can actually cycle the water in a tank without LR or LS. Freshwater peeps do it all the time. But when you do finally add your LR & LS it will cycle again as the die off from both the LR & LS overload the bacterial biosystem already present.

This is also one reason why you shouldn't add a heavy livestock increase to the tank, because the additional waste from the critters could initiate a mini-cycle.

A balanced tank is one where the existing bacteria and filtration are adequate to consume the waste and by-products which are established. As you increase the bioload, the bacterial process needs to increase as well to balance the load.

I would wait until you have some LR & LS before beginning your cycle.

I know you can cycle without the L/R and L/S but that is how I want to do it. So then it is stable for me to add my fish and corals (slowly of course, little bit at a time), instead of cycling agian. I'm getting all of my L/R and sand at the same time putting it in the tank and letting it cycle then get my fish and coral. I don't plan on adding any rock or coral after it's cycled.

Rebecca sweetheart... You remind me of my girlfriend! (Don't even go there JCT Phreaks!) In one sentence you say "I know you can cycle without the L/R and L/S but that is how I want to do it." which I take as you WANT to cycle WITHOUT LR & LS.

Then you go on to state, "I'm getting all of my L/R and sand at the same time putting it in the tank and letting it cycle". Is this AFTER the original cycle without? Or in addition to the first cycle? You don't necessarily need LS to cycle either. The LR will "seed" the sand you place in there. Have you tried www.ipsf.com for your sand, etc.?

I'm using live rock to cycle my tank. instead of using fish. There was actually a sentence before I said "I know you can cycle without the L/R and L/S but that is how I want to do it" I just deleted when editing by accident. So I'm only having one cycle (hopfully ;) and I'm using live rock to start it.

Thanks SeaMountain. I have learned alot from you guys and enjoy it here, but if people are going to into the beginner fourm and start making fun of people then I'll find my info elsewhere. I would like to stay and learn more but as I said I will leave. I have big sisters to make fun of me thank you very much. No I'm not touchy I'm just not used to not knowing lots (I read WAY too much) and HATE being made to feel dumb (although the rock comment didn't) because I know I'm not.

Archived