Innovative Marine Aquariums

Where to put hole

beerman0831

I was wondering if it is better to drill the bottom or the side for a bulkhead to go to the sump?Is there any advantages to either way?Thanks for the help

assuming both surfaces of the tank in question can be drilled (not tempered)...in drilling the bottom there are a couple things to consider: a stand which accomodates the bulkhead and drain line leaving the tank, and the space a full height overflow box occupies (because a stand pipe alone is unsightly and noisy). if you go with the full height custom overflow box (wetdryfilter.com or reefmania.net) you could then use a durso standpipe which is the quietest method of draining large quantities of water to the sump ( http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/s...dpipe_frame.htm ) ideally you would have a 1" bulkhead put in. the durso standpipe is 1.25" and narrows to 1" right at the junction with the bulkhead in the tank's floor. consider the dimensions of the standpipe when designing your overflow box.

if the tank is too small to sacrifice all that real estate for filtration this concept has been adapted for back drilled tanks. i'm working on that right now as my new tank is drilled in the middle of the back glass about 2" from the top.

if you're not worried about the durso design drill the back and save yourself some space but if i could do it again i'd drill the bottom and put in a full height overflow box.

tg

Archived