SaltCritters.com

HOW BIG OF A W/C CAN I DO?

liveclown

How big of a water change can I do at one time?? I have a 25 fowler ith high nitrates and super high phosphates. Along with the water change question what else can I do. My water is cloudy green. What kind of algea and could I eliminate it with like a 50% water change like evry 2 weeks???

Please help, I would really apprec.

you should find out what is causing it first.

do you use tap water?

how many fish and what types?

do you run any filter media?

what is your current wc like?

lights?

I'd do 20-30% every couple days if it's that bad but you can do huge water changes as long as all the parameters are close. 25 gallons is not a lot of water so a couple decent changes and you should be good, bigger problem is why is the tank so bad? Too many fish, bad water, too much feeding, etc. Water changes won't do much good if the cause is still there.

I've got a 55g with a constant 20 nitrates. Been like this since midway through the cycle. Right now I've obnly got a pair of clownfish. I'm using a biowheel 350 that I'm planning on turning into a chaeto fuge. I don't have a skimmer.

But what makes me wonder is.. Even with bad filtration and the addition of fish + fish food + waste why has my nitrates not climbed at all? They are consistently at 20.

you should find out what is causing it first.

do you use tap water?

how many fish and what types?

do you run any filter media?

what is your current wc like?

lights?

^ This

plus what do you consider high nitrates for a fowlr?

non-photosynt

Take my advise with a grain of salt, but:

1. Check alkalinity of the new salt water, if it 14-15, try no more than 70% water changes at once.

2. Check melevsreef.com for article on water change for reducing nitrates without affecting inhabitants too much.

3. Otherwise, you can do painlessly 30% water changes after every 2 days.

4. Liquid phosphate remover will precipitate phosphate almost instantly, then you will do the water changes and use after that usual phosphate remover.

Archived