inTank Media Baskets

Gluing plastic question.

jtown

i've used aquarium silicone to make a bond between pvc and plastic like that on a rubbermaid container... seems like it should work for your application as well.

When you're siliconing the parts together, make sure they're in a position where no stress is on them so that you get a good seal.  Also, I wouldn't even think about moving the parts your seal together for 24 hours, it would be better to wait 48 hours to make sure.   Let me know how it turns out.

hmm well i'm not sure how well it will work holding up weight like that.  i've never used it that way...  i'm not sure how the 32W CSLs are constructed, but would some type of bracket maybe work better?  you could screw one end of the brackets into your hood and if you orient them right maybe make it so that you can just rest your lights on the other end of the brackets.  that may or may not work depending on how your hood is constructed...

I like the silicone glue, but I would not rely on it to hold up a light fixture.

possible outcomes:

1) light fixtures falls into tank and  crushes rock formation, corals, etc.

2) light fixture falls into tank and electro-shocks fish, you, corals, etc.

3) light fixture does not fall into tank, but could sooner or later

I know you don't want it to show from the outside, but please think about this carefully before you hurt yourself or your tank.  :)

did you already silicone it together?  were you saying a "safety bar" as in something to catch the lights in case they decide to fall?  you know they make light clips that can hold bulbs in place, it might be easier to mount the reflector and everything directly in the hood rather than the fixture and everything.  had you thought of that?

ok ... well here's my plan so you guys can get an idea of what I'm doing.  I got a hold of an extra stock lighting and it would fit perfectly in the back section.  In order to screw it in, I cut the top around the screw holes.  I think you have to have an eclipse to know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, so basically I'm going to take the white plastic, the cut out top that the white thing screws into and fasten it to the top of the lid on the back.  So I'll have the clear cover and everything else with it, but I need to find a way to fasten it to the lid.  Then I'll have some sort of safety bars for the entire device.  

we'll see how it goes.

ok i don't have an eclipse but i think i understand what you're doing.  i'm not sure i would use silicone entirely... you could probably use super glue gel on the back of the plastic piece that you'll be gluing to the lid and then silicone around the edges to make sure water does get in between the two.  i would be sure to test the sturdiness before placing it over the water, but i personally wouldn't lose much sleep after that, even without whatever kind of safety bars you're envisioning...  let us know how it goes and post some pics.

ya, I'm hoping that it's sturdy enough for me to be ok with lifting it up and down a lot.  I don't want to compromise anyone's safety ... esp. my fish. :)

most likely, I'm going to try and make it so that the lighting fixture can't fall in when it's closed.

Archived