Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

To Dose Or not to Dose

reefer84

I have a BC 8 with mainly SPS and a few LPS. I've had my system set up like this for about 2 months now (from a previos mature mixed tank) and I've never have tried dosing anything. I just do my weekly water changes and I only test for PH, Alk, nitrates, and nitrites.....everything is doing great, growing and whatnot.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience from going from a simple system like mine with only water changes for trace mineral replenishment to a system with dosing involved. Is it worth all of the hassle, plus investment. What were you're results are far as growth rates, coloration, and ease of operation.

Thanks for any input

you need to be testing calcium, especially with SPS corals. Then you can pinpoint if and when your calc is depleating during the week between water changes. I dose every other day, even with weekly water changes. My SPS just eats up calc and alkanity.

A good two part solution should help greatly if you are low on calc between water changes.

Indeed. Flow seems to have a very dramatic effect on SPS growth rates.

If nothing is broken I would normally say don't fix it. But, since you are mostly SPS you really should be at least testing your Calcium and Kh. If they both check out fine continue on as normal. If they are low you might think about giving your tank an occasional dosing of a good 2 part additive.

chuckfullservice

I am strongly against dosing except as a last resort. My modo is if it ain't broke don't fix it .

If you do proper water changes like it is recomended , you will not need to dose anything . The minerals required to keep things healthy will be replaced with frequent water changes. I.E. calcium!

But to each their own , if you want to own a chemistry set why not just go buy one?

+1 Smedge

I am strongly against dosing except as a last resort. My modo is if it ain't broke don't fix it .

If you do proper water changes like it is recomended , you will not need to dose anything . The minerals required to keep things healthy will be replaced with frequent water changes. I.E. calcium!

But to each their own , if you want to own a chemistry set why not just go buy one?

+1 Smedge

What type of solution would you use as a last resort because I guess that is kind of what I'm looking for as I really would like to not over dose or add tons of work for my tank. I'm going to start testing for calcium, but what is quick fix if I should ever need one?

proper water changes don't make anything good for Calc and Alk if they are being used up since most of the pre mixed salt blends don't have enough of Calc or Alk in them after they are mixed

i know this from personal experience, my calc alk and mag were all at the required levels and then i did a water change in tested, my calc alk and mag all went down a reasonable amount and even cause some of my SPS to RTN because i didn't realize that the alk had dropped too low after the water change

water changes are to remove nirates and waste they only replenish trace elements and they cannot maintain calc and alk if it is being used up in a decent amount from the SPS

Test your parameters daily for a week 1 time every 24 hours and then start dosing till your calc alk and mag are spot on and then do a water change and tell me if the levels are the same after the water change, i'd bet you they wouldn't be since corals use up additives daily, i dose my tank every day of the week and test atleast once every week or once every 3 days and always test after a water change, it's stupid not too especially if you want your SPS to THRIVE not just live

B-Ionic 2 part is a great low budget additive, i have lots of SPS in my 29g and love the results and ease of B-ionic for dosing Calc Alk and Mag

Archived