Innovative Marine Aquariums

Another LED project

npain316

I have plans to do it tonight. Last week I hit a snag at work and couldnt make it into the LFS to test it at.

PAR can be measured, believe it or not, with a PAR meter. :lol:

They are pretty expensive...I did a search on my local reefing forum and found someone who had one. We live kinda far away from eachother, but made arragments to meet at this LFS. It works out b/c like all LFS, they have a variety of tanks with varing depths. So it should give me an oppt'y to get readings at all different depths. Plus, they have a butt load of corals to see POP under the lights too!

I will keep you all posted. Cheers!

Nick

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you think something like this build would compare power consumption wise, vs a 70w sunpod?

I'm thinking of doing this on my 14 bc I have a 70w sunpod now that is up for a bulb change.

I'm thinking I could mod my OG hood sell the sunpod and justify the remaining $$$ spent by saving power.

3watts per LED X14 (for my array) = 42watts.

I got some readings and overall I'm happy. I didnt get an oppt'y to put it over deeper tanks. Just a shallow SPS display tank.

The quantum meter was a Apogee QMSS-E

At 6" a reading of 210

At 9" (the bottom) a reading of 185

I would bet at 12"(the bottom of my cube) a reading of 160.

How does that compare? A dual 48" T5HO at 9" depth gave a PAR of 140 with the same meter. A 400W MH (spider reflector) suspended 12" off the water gave a reading of like 250ish at a 9" depth.

Evil, what could we expect with some optics?

Evil had posted some readings with the 60 and 40 degree optics. He was getting something ridiculous like 500 Par at 6" or something and 250 at 18". He'll have to break it down more I can't recall off the top of my head.

500 PAR at 14", and 200 at 24" :P

I got my optics in and will be experimenting with them soon.

Nice numbers npain316! Little higher than I expected, but very respectable.

Can you explain how you ran the wiring up to leds again and how you wired the fans in? I'm thinking of having my power supply on the ground as well and am curious how you accomplished it.

Can you explain how you ran the wiring up to leds again and how you wired the fans in? I'm thinking of having my power supply on the ground as well and am curious how you accomplished it.

wiring.jpg

As shown above. I have the two buck pucks and the series of 3 fans wired in paralelle to the power supply.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need additional clarification.

Nick

• 4 years later...

I am confused with the power supply. The link doesnt show what you used. I am doing 12 LED's so do I have to use 2- 24 volt supply units, one for each color, or one larger one since I have two buck pucks with external dimmers and potentionmeters? I was also going to run 2- 12volt fans in series.

Archived