ReefCleaners.org

10-Gallon Nano-Reef

workingmal

Hi!

I'm considering setting up a 10-gallon nano and wondering if anyone has had success with the Eclipse 1 for a 20"x10" tank and retrofitting with a two-bulb PC arrangement? Do you find any other filtration necessary? What lighting arrangement (brand and product please) would I order to fit this Eclipse?

Conversely, would there be a better means to set up a 10 to 15 gallon? I liked the simplicity of the Eclipse.

Thank you!

dude just buy a 96 watt power quad it will fit the the 10 or 15 also you use only live rock for filtration. as for water movement remember 10x rule. water volume x 10 per hour so if it is a 10 gal you want powerheads pumping 100 gal per hour. go to the members tank section you will see a ton of 10 gal with the powerquad setup very clean looking. don't waste your money on a eclipse top only to turn around and have to retro it. cheers-

I agree with the 3x32w or powerquad setup. I had an Eclipse1 hood on a 12 gal tank that was RC's Nano of the month two years ago. PITA to retro-fit, and too expensive to buy, then dice up to cram lighting, etc.

Spend the money on decent PC lighting, whether you buy an all-inclusive hood (like the CSL 96w powerquad hood or 2x23w hood) or a DIY hood with PC retro-fits. I had an AH Supply econo hood and 3x32w PC's and it was fantastic.

The difference in cost will be well worth avoiding the frustration of trying to work with the limitations of the Eclipse hood. Buy good live rock, and you'll easily replace the "simplicity" of the eclipse.

HTH

I decided to buy a AGA 10gal and spend the extra money on lighting. Hellolights has their 96w power quad full hood on sale for less than $100. This combo will give you much better chance of success for the same price as an eclipse.

-K

I had a 10gal when I bought the eclipse 1 to start. I was told the biowheel was the best etc. Such lies, right now I have a 15gal high w/ the eclipse 1 on because i just bought it and I wasn't going to trash it. Right now I have the 18" 50/50 and 4 13watt PC bulbs in there, yes 4. I ditched the biowheel, so I don't use it for much other then looks and flow/filter sometimes. It does do 150gph + my 160gph powerhead, so I have good flow. We'll see how it goes, I'm already itching to get a bigger tank like a 40-55.

Archived