Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ultra actinic, true actinic, actinic 03, blue 7100k.. what's the diff?

kertong

Hi everyone, I am pretty new here, and I am about to start on my 3rd tank (yep, a nano).

Previous 2 tanks have been pretty successful, a 30g with a false perc./bta, red mushrooms, button polyps, and bubble coral. second tank was a 10g flat-back hex with a tomato clown and a bta.

I just picked up a 12 gallon eclipse, and I was thinking about picking up a powerquad 96watt setup from marinedepot.com. Is 96 watts overkill? I want to keep a bubble tip anemone (they're my favorite), and with my previous csl 32watt setup, they really didn't flouresce the corals and turned them into a dull, brown color.

So, the "ultra actinic" advertised in the powerquad setup - is this a fake 7100k actinic that only gives off a blue glow? Or is it a true actinic that gives off 440nm light?

I'm pretty new to lighting, so any pointers would help a lot! Anybody have any specific combos/setups that have worked especially well in their 12 gallon eclipses hoods?

Thanks again!

Off topic, but I see you are from Berkeley, CA. Have you been in Octupuss Garden on Shattuck? I love that place, just opened a couple of months ago.

I have that powerquad 96watt, but no info on the actinic bulb. But the light itself is great!! IMO

OT

otwizzle: yup, berkeley :) Haven't heard of octupus garden though, although I know shattuck - I live maybe 5 blocks away from the street. I'll be sure to try out octupus garden. :)

Powerquad 96 watts seem nice but after some research, I don't think they'll fit into my eclipse 1 hood. :( I may have to just go with the 32watt sl smartlites :(

Archived