Pod Your Reef

Last trip to LFS

JohnnyMTB

This should do it for awhile. Added the purple tip digi in top-left corner, GSP's, and a grab-bag of mushrooms and polyps on the floor. Gonna sit back and just watch for a couple of months. Already noticed the yellow polyps and zoos really filling out, everyday it seems a yellow polyp has an offshoot at it's base; been feeding live brine once a week and they seem to they enjoy that. Many thanks to all the nano-reefers online, been especially inspired by Liquid, Jdsabin, Brooklyn Johnny, Crakeur, and far too many others to name. It's a great hobby we have here! Thanks to everyone when I posted the stupid newbie questions and someone took the time to answer, I think it paid off!

Your tank has really taken shape and you are dead on as far as waiting to see how the polyps and shrooms fill out for a little while (do you buy 'loose corals' from your lfs like I do? :)).

I need to get some of those yellow polyps for one of my other tanks. I have always liked those!

Anyway, everything looks great! Very nice tank you have going there. :)

Thanks Jeff, nice compliment coming from you. Absolutely love the way your 20 is looking. Yeah, quickly found out I didn't have room for the rocks most corals come with so I started buying a lot of loose stuff and super gluing if need be. My LFS has a section with a bunch of loose polyps, shrooms, rics etc. and you get a good handfull for $16.00. Will probably drop a few more of those in there for some more diversity.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is a stupid newb questions but how do you glue corals onto rocks...ive been wondering. Do you have to wear any gloves or anything. I know how much you hate answering noob questions but plz answer :D

you call that a full tank? yeah sure its nice, but youll see within a few hours ull "realize" you "forgot" something and youll be in the foul smelling but sweet stenched pet store elbows deep in saltwater.

Nishant, can't you compliment? Always got something "negative" to say? Well stop!!! J/K, but dude, his tank is nice, and then he said he's going to watch it for a few months... SO I think he's going to watch everything grow. = )

BTW, nice tank Johnny

:) yes your right i aughta say something nice..........i like your sand.

no im jp great tank dude, its looking gooood how come so many powerheads?

No, didn't mean for it to sound like I was done, there's always room for more. I'm just letting things grow in a bit, "last trip" did not mean I was never going back, just what I picked up last time I was there. Looking more for special pieces now; unusual color, unusual coral, etc.

The 3 powerheads are on a wavemaker, so they are rarely all on at the same time. Random currents, in my opinion, help to reduce the amount of algae in a tank, it doesn't let it settle in one spot and proliferate. The tank has been up for almost 3 months now and I never even had a diatom bloom. Had a 55 gallon a couple years back with 6 powerheads on timers and it ran with a heavy bioload for 4 years without algae (moved to an apartment with tank restrictions so had to sell it).

If you can see liverock, IT AIN'T FULL!!

As an update, had an outbreak of red planaria, treated with Flatworm Exit today with what seems to be good results, will update when I know for sure. Borrowed a skimmer from a friend who thankfully let it part from his 90g for a couple of days, running that with carbon and nothing seems to be stressed. Caught them early, could only see maybe a dozen when I treated, spent a couple hours bouncing between football and flatworm siphoning. Yay Sundays!

NanoNewbie- I use Duro Super Glue Gel to attach frags, any gel will work. just attach glue to frag, put in place, sometimes glue will start to harden immediately, kinda form a skin, so you need to twist it to really get it to harden in place........ uh, need to call the GF now, sorry, later....

Archived