Cultivated Reef

UV Bonding

Eugen

Very soon I will have a custom made tank for my nano. It'll be 30-40 gallons, 10mm thick glass.

The only question is how to have it glued? The guys that are building it for me told me of a method using UV curing adhesives that will give the tank that perfect look we all search for.

Has anyone had any experience with UV bonded tanks? Are they resistant? Are they good or should I just stick to silicone bonding?

bonsaidarrell
Very soon I will have a custom made tank for my nano. It'll be 30-40 gallons, 10mm thick glass.

The only question is how to have it glued? The guys that are building it for me told me of a method using UV curing adhesives that will give the tank that perfect look we all search for.

Has anyone had any experience with UV bonded tanks? Are they resistant? Are they good or should I just stick to silicone bonding?

I did a quick google on UV bonded adhesive, and found this site:

http://www.glass-etching-kits.com/uv_glass_glue_orders.htm

The say:

2. Do not use UV glue to secure any object that will be exposed to a lot of water. Water will degrade the adhesive strength of the glue over time, causing the bond to fall apart. So don't use UV glue on your aquarium (use silicone for that) unless you enjoy vacuuming water out of your carpet.

So unless the guys building your tank can assure you it is compatible with water, I would stick with silicone!

-Darrell

aquarium safe 100% silicon with no mold killers or anything like that, i believe GE II silicon works but don't hold me to it.

I think it's GE I.

Or at least I hope because I have two unopened tubes...

Archived