ReefCleaners.org

Dialing in a Tunze 9002

nematoad

I got myself a Tunze DOC 9002 skimmer, and I remember reading a few threads here and there about mods that people have made or different ways that people have got the best skimmate and performance from their skimmer.

I can't find any of the threads now, but I remember one of the suggestions was to cut the airline for the venturi so the top doesn't pop up so easily.

Are there any other things to try and improve with this skimmer to get it working optimally? What have you guys and gals found?

I wouldn't mess with this skimmer too much, it is pretty much plug and play, very effective machine. The only mod I have done is zip tied the top down and a custom cup for my application (the stock cup works fine, but doesn't fit in all tanks.)

adjusting it so that the water line is one inch below the recommended water line works well for me. it produces a drier skimmate.

i think the proper point to dial in the skimmer is just a bit more open than the slurping/hissing noise. it seems like that produces the most bubbles.

You can open up the skimmer and adjust the tube so the top doesn't pop off. Thats what I did to mine. At first mine wasn't working at all but after doing that it got better. To further improve I turned the air adjustment dial to fully closed and ran it like that for a week. Then I gradually opened the dial to maybe 2/3 open and now its running like a champ. They are kinda finiky though I think you kinda have to find the sweet spot which can take a little while or at least it did for me. Good luck.

bonsaidarrell
adjusting it so that the water line is one inch below the recommended water line works well for me. it produces a drier skimmate.

On another forum, someone from Tunze (at least they claimed that) said the line is the max water level. Min water level is about an inch below, and the recommended level is about 1/2" below the max.

Seems like something like that would be worth them mentioning in the manual!

-Darrell

What's your's doing that it's not running optimally?

Nothing. It's not even in water yet! :D

Just wanted to have a heads up of things to consider before getting it going. Always good to know what can improve before you start looking to improve.

So far:

1. Adjust airline so it's the right length, with less exces.

2. Keep lid tied down (maybe unnecessary with shortened airline?)

3. Operate .5 - 1 inch below water line

4. Adjust air intake down all the way, and work up from there.

I can't fit it into the tank I have right now, but it's going on the 20g w/ 10g sump I'm putting together now.

My filter floss in the AC70 fuge looks like this after 3 days:

dirt.jpg

That Tunze is going to rock my socks (and by socks, I mean water clarity....duh.)

Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming.

non-photosynt

You can do well without zip-tying, if you: open bottom, remove pump, pull airline down, until the top lid will be at place, return pump at place, close bottom lid. Only each and every time I'm forgetting this :D and loudly praise this patented idea, again and again.

To receive any skimmate: wash the cup with warm water without detergent to remove casting residue, place at recommended water line, and open air supply, until bubbles will be in the bottom third of the collection cup neck. Wait few hours. If nothing again - open air supply even more, up to the middle of the neck.

I also expected this skimmer "to rock", by reputation, then bought the cheapest Rio Nano HOB skimmer, and now using mostly them. But this is a very particular application: frequent feeding for non-photosynthetic corals and fine filter feeders. Rio Nano skimmer resumes skimming faster, especially after frozen food, than this Tunze model. Now I'm using Tunze only in fish tank, there it works reasonably well, and 2 Rios for heavy duty: sun corals tank and sea apples tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I just put my 9002 in my RSM and removed the old skimmer since I received my refug from Jeff at Lifereef for under my stand. My 9002 is screeching a lot yet it has only been in place for 2 days. I am unsure if this is my problem but my water level in the back compartment is at the top of the skimmer over the water level line. I got the extra magnets and used tie clips so it could be held in the back yet if I try to lift the skimmer up to the water line area I can not close the back compartment without cutting more holes in it. Am I going to have issues if I keep the water line above the line on the skimmer (actually the water is about flush with the top of the skimmer frame where the neck begins). Also is there a way to cut down on the hissing from the air adjustment connection area?

Thanks everyone

I just put my 9002 in my RSM and removed the old skimmer since I received my refug from Jeff at Lifereef for under my stand. My 9002 is screeching a lot yet it has only been in place for 2 days. I am unsure if this is my problem but my water level in the back compartment is at the top of the skimmer over the water level line. I got the extra magnets and used tie clips so it could be held in the back yet if I try to lift the skimmer up to the water line area I can not close the back compartment without cutting more holes in it. Am I going to have issues if I keep the water line above the line on the skimmer (actually the water is about flush with the top of the skimmer frame where the neck begins). Also is there a way to cut down on the hissing from the air adjustment connection area?

Thanks everyone

yes, you need to keep the water at or below the water line

yes, you need to keep the water at or below the water line

Thats another hole I have to make in the top so the box extends out the back xD. Stevie, does your box fit under the hood without cutting more holes. I.E. Water level in tank slightly below rim (slight gap in main tank so water flows through channel)?

If so I may need you to sent me one xD.

Do you mean my skimmer cup and media rack?

If so yes, if you run them you will not have to cut anything in the RSM to make the Tunze work. The skimmer cup is designed to allow you to open and close the hood with no clearance issues. The media rack will block a little flow so that the skimmer will run bellow the water level line, you can also mount the Tunze right to the rack. PM me if you are interested, see links above my signature for info on both

Do you mean my skimmer cup and media rack?

If so yes, if you run them you will not have to cut anything in the RSM to make the Tunze work. The skimmer cup is designed to allow you to open and close the hood with no clearance issues. The media rack will block a little flow so that the skimmer will run bellow the water level line, you can also mount the Tunze right to the rack. PM me if you are interested, see links above my signature for info on both

I would love to run your media rack in back but that will not happen. With the overflow box from Jeff at Lifereef on the left side and the skimmer on the right there is no room for any of the sponges and fiber filter pads. Since I have the sump now under the cabinet (and it is nice xD) I can add what I need there with regards to some media and all so the rack is not going to fit yet if I just had the skimmer in and not an overflow box and all your rack would have been a great addition.

My line on the skimmer washed off so I sorta guessed at 1/2 inch from top of base and will watch it.

How I have the skimmer connected now Stevie is I have the large magnet in the back with tie clips around the skimmer and I just came out of room and sice I can not fit the top back on at that height right now I decided to use the side magnet that came with the unit and removed the electrical box, fit the additional magnet in, and tightly resnapped the electrical box back in place. The skimmer is not going to move much and I will leave the small cover off for now. I already had to make a few cuts in the back of the flip top to get the overflow box in but that is in the back where you can not see it. I do not want an eyesore sticking out the top of the tank though. Due to the overflow box I already have a towel hanging over my top of the tank over the overflow box haha to muff the sound - its in my bedroom and girlfriend may not like the new sound now that the refug is in with the overflow box. I will have to convince her it is like beachfront property lol.

What I need is a new cup to replace the old one that is lower sitting so there is plenty of room to put the hinged cover back on and not have to cut a huge hole in the top of the small flip cover xD.

I am hoping removing the sponge and fiber filter pad will not cause to many bad affects.

Can you help me out there on the cup. If you have any other ideas on noise reduction from the overflow box to the sump haha my GF would love you.

Thats what I thought, there wouldn't be enough room from running the overflow box. What if you put some filter floss in the area that the water sounds comes from? That would break up the sound.

I can make a cup at almost any size, or a production cup that I make will also probably work. I will shoot you a PM so we can talk about dimentions.

• 3 weeks later...
:) has any one installed the tunze9002 into the red sea max and if could you explain into which chamber you should put into thank for any help tommymcdtunze/red sea max

:welcome:

well your link doesn't work, but most RSM owners have installed the Tunze into the rear chamber. After you remove the HUGE stock skimmer you will have a lot of room to play with. It will go just to the left of the intake area.

Click my signature for LOTS of info on this tank, everything is indexed on the first page including my install of the Tunze.

See this thread as well for pictures of the skimmer in place with a custom cup/media rack

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1689249

let me know if you have any questions

I would love to run your media rack in back but that will not happen. With the overflow box from Jeff at Lifereef on the left side and the skimmer on the right there is no room for any of the sponges and fiber filter pads. Since I have the sump now under the cabinet (and it is nice xD) I can add what I need there with regards to some media and all so the rack is not going to fit yet if I just had the skimmer in and not an overflow box and all your rack would have been a great addition.

why dont you just put the skimmer in the sump?

Archived