Innovative Marine Aquariums

quarantine tank?

david

Thanks for previous replies to another question from a beginning beginner. another topic of conflicting info -- all the books I read insist on a quarantine tank, but the experienced guy at my fish store which I trust says he never sells quantine tanks - that realistically, they are for people with large set ups and rare fish. Is it necessary for a 12 gallon tank with a plan for LR, LS, a few fish, a few invertebrates and a few soft corals??

david

I don't know about only using it for a large setups. I am thinking about making a quarantine tank. It looks like you don't to keep it running 24/7 and if that's the case I'm going to build one. I have been reading the boards about Q-Tanks and they said that you can throw the filter media from your Q-Tank into the sump of your main tank while your not using the Q-Tank. I had a sick fish and I wish I had a Q-Tank to throw him in.

my only question is if I put fresh mixed saltwater and filter media that has been in my sump into the q-tank will it not start a cycle?

I disagree with any "restrictions" on a quarantine tank. They are for making sure fish are healthy and to use as hospital tank for sick fish. I guess it depends on wether or not you consider fish "disposable". Considering on cost a minimal amount of $ to set one up, why not?

I lost two clowns about a month ago because I didn't put them in a QT. Was too cheap to set one up, so put in my main tank, where they slowly died and there was almost nothing I could do, and what I did do, didn't work. So now I have a QT and will soon put a second pair of clowns in for a month. If the new clowns survive, then the QT tank will have paid for itself. I learned my lesson

Archived