SaltCritters.com

Canister Filter for RDSB

geekreef_05

So Ive discovered that my lights are so low that running an HOB puts alot of water/salt on them daily from splashback.. so Im thinking of going to a canister system and ripping out the components of the canister* then filling it with sand to make a quick RDSB system.

Thoughts? Recommendations on which canister filter to buy?

*Except maybe for the first media basket, which I'll use for activated carbon,

ya, but that would really require drilling a pre-existing tank. unless you have a way to accomplish this with a canister filter or have an idea on how to mod one to accomplish this. ??

• 3 months later...

Im bringing this thread back to life.

Just setup my new 33L and I want to do a canister filter RDSB.. and I have cheato and a sump.. this is just another add on, as I dont see any downside.

Ive never used canister filters before, so what the best canister to do this with?

you can get a submersible light and drop it in the canister for the cheato, or cut a opening on the side. epoxy a sheet of 1/4" acrylic and shine a light through the window.

Since I have a sump with chaeto i wont be going in that direction although that is a good idea. In this case darkness is a good thing. What I am trying to do is fill the bucket with sand and remove all filters, except maybe filter floss and carbon.Is this possible? I have never used a canister filter before.

Here are my priorities:

1) I need a sand bed to be 5 inches in depth at least

2) I would need the unit to provide strong surface water flow

3) i want something as quiet as possible

Given the above parameters please suggest a canister filter.

I dont realy see any benefit whith this. A dark DSB isnt going to do anything more than just live rock in terms of nutrient export. A lit fuge with a DSB and several different algea would be better at using up the bad nutrients.

I dont realy see any benefit whith this. A dark DSB isnt going to do anything more than just live rock in terms of nutrient export. A lit fuge with a DSB and several different algea would be better at using up the bad nutrients.

Thats what a sump is for, which I have. A dark DSB will provide nitrate reduction. If you want to learn more about DSB's please do the research (google Dr Ron+DSBs), that is not what Im here to ask about.

Question still stands with parameters from above.

oh sorry, i didnt see your comment on having a sump with chaeto already.

no worries

The only problem I see is flow. If you have too much flow the DSB will not work. And you cannot stir up the DSB like a canister filter is designed to do. What I mean is if you look at the flow patern of all canisters they are designed that water flows through EVERY inch of space. This will not allow a DSB to establish itself.

All I can see with what you have proposed is that the canister filter will be turned into a sand filter like those pool filters. And then ditrius would build up and chemically nuke your tank.

A DSB does not need a light btw, just low flow.

too much flow was what the LFS guy actually told me today too. but the canister filters come with flow valves too, which would help. plus, thing is a DSB should be high flow in order to be effective, and once it's settled and undisturbed it'll be fine. at the end of the day I was simply unwilling to shell out $150+ for a decent canister filter to experiment on.

i ended up replacing my HOB with a nano-sized canister, just to prevent splashback onto the lights. as its running right now Im loving it, because its a cleaner look and MUCH quieter in operation.

the canister holds less than a gallon of water, so Im gonna keep it a strict carbon/media area.. its pretty small.

Also, right now Im running it with the stock media... figured it just use the stuff for a week or two and chuck .. then go back to straight filter floss and carbon.

I have to say that I still might try the DSB canister idea... I still think it'll work with the right canister... I had my eye on the EHIM ECCO.

Archived