inTank Media Baskets

Wavemakers

WhiteShark

I had an idea to combine two Hydor Koralia 400 gph power heads and the JBJ ocean pulse wave maker for my Cadlight 39g pro. I noticed in reading the description of the Hydor Koralia powerheads it says that it, "is not designed for use with wave makers"; however, Hydor Koralia already makes a wave maker that they combine with their own power heads (the ones they say aren't meant to be used with wave makers). My assumption is Hydor Koralia would prefer that we buy their $300.00 wave maker over the JBJ's $40.00 wave maker. I'm just curious if anyone has done this before and has any experience with these items?

i have 2 koralia nanos on one of those. 5 months with no problems so far, but I'm not endorsing it. It's in a quarentine/hospital 10 gallon so no big deal if it fails. My guess is that the Koralia wave maker has a "soft start" but I may be wrong

See I've heard that it's debatable if "soft start" even exists (not saying it does or doesn't, that’s just what I've read)...I'm thinking the JBJ may wear them out faster than the Hydor Koralia wave maker but you usually only get a year or so out of those power heads anyways...

Any other thoughts?

*bump*

The new controllable koralina wave makers use 12VDC pumps, not the same 120VAC pumps that they normally sell. AC pumps can start up spinning either way. The DC pumps will only start up one way.

I did find a way to use a simple timer chip, a few caps, and some resistors and setup a 12VDC circuit that will switch a controllable koralina on and off at different intervals depending on what resistor/capacitor combo is used. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems pretty simple.

Hope that answers your questions, they aren't the same animals.

Brian

Sorry about the hijack, but I have the components to make a little timer circuit to a relay for a regular powerhead controller / wavemaker...just haven't pulled out the soldering iron to put it together....sorry again,

Mitch

The new controllable koralina wave makers use 12VDC pumps, not the same 120VAC pumps that they normally sell. AC pumps can start up spinning either way. The DC pumps will only start up one way.

I did find a way to use a simple timer chip, a few caps, and some resistors and setup a 12VDC circuit that will switch a controllable koralina on and off at different intervals depending on what resistor/capacitor combo is used. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems pretty simple.

Hope that answers your questions, they aren't the same animals.

Brian

I just don't wanna burn the Koralia out in a month or something b/c it was being turned on and off to much. I was planning on setting the waves at like 90 sec intervals.

I'm afraid I'm not quite that good with putting together my own electronic stuff as you are....good advice though...

Archived