Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Testing for calcium

speedbump

just a quick question of how this kit it supposed to work.

i add drops, shaking between drops, till i get blue.

questions: am i supposed to get the whole tube blue or just where the drop mixes at the top? if im supposed to get the whole tube blue after shaking, then my numbers are going to be off the little chart.

tank is 7 days old using Red Sea coral pro salt.

thanks for your help.

it's the whole tube blue/purple. what is your CA reading at??

well geez. its hard to say. i dont even get "blue". the only time i ever see blue is when one drop is added and it turns blue at the top of the tube. then after shaking it goes away. the darkest i get is a purple. i could keep going but all it does it get darker purple, but then i am past the chart and the tube is full.

you say blue/purple. what is the color supposed to look like? :huh: it doesn't give an example.

I have always used Reef Crystals salt and my CA has been between 380 and 420. When I test I normally start with about 15 drops and then cap and shake. Then i add 2 drops at a time and cap and shake. I normally get up to 21 or 22 drops before it turns from pink to purple.

ok here are some pics.

the first is 10, the second it 22, the third is 24.

now, the the third one, is it purple or "blue"?

the fourth picture shows what i see as "blue" at the top where i just added a drop before shaking. i can not get the whole tube this color.

calcium_1.jpgcalcium_2.jpgcalcium_3.jpg

calcium_4.jpg

Haha, I had this exact problem! I didn't know what qualified as "blue."

It's kind of funny because I just did titration in my chemistry class and I had the same trouble with identifying color. The chem teacher was all,"this isn't an exact science."

F-U titration.

I use the same test, on the instructions, above the concentration chart, there is actually a endpoint colour sample.

when it turns purple, u hit the end point. its good for a rough concentration level.give or take a drop.

I use the same test, on the instructions, above the concentration chart, there is actually a endpoint colour sample.

when it turns purple, u hit the end point. its good for a rough concentration level.give or take a drop.

is that what that box means? :lol: :lol: :lol: all the printing on the paper was that color so i didn't think anything of it.

Are API Ca tests any good?

im looking for tests for like calc, mag, alk ect

API do not have mag test.

calcium and alk are usually good. but theres a report of a bad batch of alk test

IIRC, for the api calc test, i usually just drop in 15 drops at first and shake it up. i dont bother dropping 1 and shake, then drop and shake. too time consuming and makes a huge mess. i remember 20 drops is around 400ppm so 15 drops will get you close that. after 15 i just add one drop at a time shaking inbetween drops

Archived