SaltCritters.com

What sump pump should I buy?

MattGecko

What pump should I buy? What GPH?

I have a 7G reef with a 3G sump/fuge. The sump is about 3' below the tank. Pump must be no larger than these dimensions 4 1/2"L x 2 1/2"W x 6"T. I was thinking about 200GPH.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt

you could go as high as 300gph, or as low as 100gph, just depends on how much you split up the flow or divert it. It you split it up alot and have it coming in at different points along the back of the tank you could get up to 300gph. If you choose to go with one outlet into the tank facing across it's front, 100gph would be enough. 200gph seems to be just fine for right in between...but I would split the return in two and face the outlets towards the front glass so that the turbulence runs into itself, creating unpredictable changes in water movement for everything in the tank.

Hey Wetworx,

Man thats a great idea!!!

I will have make that down the road. All these projects have emptied my wallet. :(

Since I have an extra AQ150, I think I will remove the motor & run the return line to it. What do you think?

The idea is inexpensive, you could just use some extra PVC to split the output...like not even a dollars worth...to split the output. The AC150 is a potential idea...why were you thinking of a fuge...cuz otherwise it really doesnt serve any purpose.

Currently I have the AQ300/fuge & I really it. With the fuge in the AQ I don't have room for the Iceprobe. So having a sump style fuge I will have more water volume, a place to hide my heater, Iceprobe & grow frags to trade. I have an extra 32W & a 13W PC that I'm going to use.

I'm going to use a Maxi-jet 1200 to pump the water back.

What do you think?

Archived