Cultivated Reef

POWER OUTAGE!

Aqua newbie

HHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP

My community is gonna turn off our power for six hours!!!

I'll be @ highschool

and my parents will be @ work. What to do?

The heat, lighting, and water flow will be off.

PLEASE HELP.

HHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP

My community is gonna turn off our power for six hours!!!

I'll be @ highschool

and my parents will be @ work. What to do?

The heat, lighting, and water flow will be off.

PLEASE HELP.

Get a battery operated air pump its under 20 bucks.

Power has gone out on my tank for 18 hours a couple times. It has gotten as low as 68 degrees and everything seemed perfectly fine. If your tank is decently established I'd just ride it out. A battery powered air pump definitely wouldn't hurt though.

Wrap it in a heavy blanket around the sides of the tank. Do not seal off the top with anything. And like said, get a battery powered air pump.

The Propagator

Its not going to loose that much heat in 6 hours.

Just make sure it wont flood and leave it be.

Maybe check it during lunch if you can ?

I've had power go out and my GFCI trip upon restoral, but being at work made the tank be off for about 6 hours anyways. Had NO issues and temp didn't really drop either.

IMO, Six hours isn't much to worry about.

Six hours and fifteen minutes... That's when you need to worry!!! :huh:

I've got myself a UPS hooked up to a marine deep cycle battery... That thing will run my circulation pump and a heater constantly on for a good 8hrs. w/o the heater I'd get more than a day on the circulation pump.

Oh and +1 on that battery powered air pump.

If your power did not already go out then the info below should be some what useful, if it already happened then I'm just wasting a post :lol:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...amp;pcatid=3693

Battery powered air pumps for under $10.

The last time I was at petsmart I got a battery powered air pump that automatically goes on when the power goes out (It plugs in and when the electricity flow goes off it turns on). I have not tried using it yet because I forgot to get two D batteries for it. I think it was $15 at petsmart. So If you don't have time to order then petsmart is your best bet.

For heat you could wrap the tanks glass in emergency blankets (The silver ones they sell for camping), Just don't wrap it over the top of the tank so air can still go in and out.

I think everyone should have a battery powered pump on hand just in case of a situation like this. Luckily you were given some warning! :D

They have them at Petsmart, Petco...they are surprisingly cheap. Just get a couple of sets of batteries and you are good to go.

I've got myself a UPS hooked up to a marine deep cycle battery... That thing will run my circulation pump and a heater constantly on for a good 8hrs. w/o the heater I'd get more than a day on the circulation pump.

Oh and +1 on that battery powered air pump.

Have you tested this out? Most home grade UPS's will render most pumps inoperable due to the type of sinewave the UPS outputs for power. It's not comparable to an extent to the power that comes from a wall socket.

Archived