Innovative Marine Aquariums

LR looks like it's turning white?

armyfishnj

I was looking at my 30L tank this morning and it looks like my LR is turning white in certain parts as of right now. I have no lights on because I was cycling my tank. Is there a reason why this would happen? What can I do???? I need help!!!! Also....I was looking at the type of lighting I would need for this tank. All help is appreciated. I am looking at keeping low to medium light demanding corals right now since I am a beginner to the hobby. What type of lighting would be good for this type of setup???

The LR is probably turning white in some spots because whatever was there wanted more light and is now dead. When the lights come back on, something new will grow there.

What color were the white areas initially? If they were colored, you are probably experiencing bleaching of your coralline algae, which requires the light. Or, you may be experiencing die off of some encrusting life forms (algaes,sponges, etc.) What type of rock, where did you get it and was it already cured.

A lot of people are cycling their tanks without light these days, but one of the drawbacks is also bleaching of coralline. Do you have any NO (normal output) strip lights? Perfect for cycling, IMO, as the lower lighting promotes more of the pinks and purples to get started.

Also, what are your test readings? Even though you are cycling, maintaining calcium and alkalinity levels are still important to maintain any coralline life, as well as augment calcerous tube worms, etc.

30L is the 36x12 footprint, right? If so, I would suggest on of the following combinations, depending on your canopy design:

2 or 3 96w linear Power Compacts (not the 96w quads). They fit perfectly over a 36" tank.

2 or 3 110w VHO bulbs: same deal: fit perfectly.

Archived