Top Shelf Aquatics

good mag test kit

onefish2fish

I like the salifert. its $30 for 50 tests.

I just ordered the red sea mag test from dfs, as it is on sale now for $11 for 30 tests (salifert mg is backordered at dfs). I have not used red sea mag test, but from reading the instructions, it looks similar to the salifert. and red sea gives reading in 20ppm increments, salifert is in 30ppm increments.

The change in color from pink to blue on the salifert mag test occurs in one drop (unlike salifert ca test where color change is gradual and hence reading can be error prone), so it is not likely you will make an incorrect reading.

you dont like salifert? or you just wanna change test kits?

well i know saliferts already a good brand of test kit, just wanted to see if another can compete and ive heard about elos but never have personally tried them

The Propagator

+1

HIGHLY inaccurate...

They are not to be confused with Seachems kit though.

Seachem is not made by red sea ;)

( I have been seeing a lot of confusion about that lately is all )

Salifert has had some quality control issues recently. So bad they stopped production for a month or two I hear. I "think" they have it under control now but you may want to check on it.

thats how they rape your money

high drop count doesnt mean they are raping your money. either way i think both kits only have 50 tests. the high drop rate gives it a higher resolution for a more accurate test. it just takes a hell of a lot longer to reach there. salifert on the other hand calculate how much is regent is left so no counting involved. just read and compare on the chart

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know any clever way of using Salifert's Mag kit to measure values higher than 1500 ppm?

The ppm value VS reading is obviously linear, so if I would only mix half of the reagents (2 drops and half spoon) with the same amount of water (2ml), this would double the sensitivity and turn my scale to 1500 - 3000 instead of 0 - 1500.

Is this making any sense or is it just the fact I had no coffee this morning yet...?

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody know any clever way of using Salifert's Mag kit to measure values higher than 1500 ppm?

The ppm value VS reading is obviously linear, so if I would only mix half of the reagents (2 drops and half spoon) with the same amount of water (2ml), this would double the sensitivity and turn my scale to 1500 - 3000 instead of 0 - 1500.

Is this making any sense or is it just the fact I had no coffee this morning yet...?

I don't know if your methodology would work in reality (in theory it seems it would though), but the method I have learned to measure over 1500 is simply adding another syringe full of the final reagent until you reach the end point. To compensate for the increased numbers you have you use negative values for everything past the zero. For instance if you used .01 mL more than the 0 mL point on the syringe you'd input the formula as:

(1-(-0.1))x1500=1515

and so on for other values. For the formula to work you have to input the negative values.

But if your method works it'd be a lot simpler than doing this! But I would have to question if it would be as accurate since dividing a dry dose could be prone it inaccuracy, especially such a small dose.

I don't know if your methodology would work in reality (in theory it seems it would though), but the method I have learned to measure over 1500 is simply adding another syringe full of the final reagent until you reach the end point. To compensate for the increased numbers you have you use negative values for everything past the zero. For instance if you used .01 mL more than the 0 mL point on the syringe you'd input the formula as:

(1-(-0.1))x1500=1515

and so on for other values. For the formula to work you have to input the negative values.

But if your method works it'd be a lot simpler than doing this! But I would have to question if it would be as accurate since dividing a dry dose could be prone it inaccuracy, especially such a small dose.

That's indeed a good method. The only disadvantage I see is the amount of the final reagent one needs (less # of tests per box).

True. The dry dose is not very "halving friendly" and could potencially lead to innacurate results.

I would guess one would need to physically halve the volume of the spoon (maybe with some epoxy or other fast drying "filler")

Archived