SaltCritters.com

Powerhead bubbles. Also lights question

Beholder

Hi all,

Firstly, stats:

60 liter tank (about 13 gallons, I think).

3.5kg's of LR (7.7lbs). Will get some more LR soon as finances allow - payday in 16 days time.

Some LS at the moment (about 1kg's worth). Places here have run out of Aragonite, so have to wait till they get for more

*sound of drumming fingers, and lots of sighing*

1 x 500 liter per hour Resun Powerhead.

At the moment, there is 5 snails in the tank.

With the powerhead, should I be oxygenating the water by having the bubble tube thingy making bubbles so it breaks the surface of the water? I have the powerhead as high in the tank as it'll go, so there is some surface agetation, but nowhere as much as if I was using a HOB.

Also, is this enough water turn over? I could get another small powerhead, but the smallest I've seen is 500 liters per hour as well. Would this be overkill?

I have a VHO neon tube running. It's listed at 18 000K, 700 lumens, 15w. Does this sound right? I had never seen it before, so snapped it up when I did see at LFS. I plan on adding the blue light on payday as well (can maybe do it earlier, if nessecary). So, is it neccessary for cycling, or is white light ok?

Thanks

Evan

the bulb you got i doubt is a vho what kind of ballast are you running? i think you mean you have a 15w no (normal output) light in 18,000k, well light isnt neccesary for cycling. i would add you hob back on the tank it is a good place to run carbon (when neccesary) also good for hiding submersible heater. i would move your power head to about the middle of the hieght since running your hob will provide surface agitation. also you don't want any bubbles, so make sure that you do not use the air venturi attachment with the powerhead. cheers-

I wouldn't over-aerate the tank with the venturi through the powerhead. You'll find so many people with micro-bubble problems with returns from skimmers, etc. Unsightly and unneccesary.

If you decide against the Hang-on back filter, then at least point one powerhead upward (deflector attachments are usually included in the powerhead box) to br4eak up the water surface, and facilitate gas exchange.

You definitely have a standard NO flourescent, which is fine for getting started. If your live rock has decent coralline coverage, I'd give it a few hours of light each day. That little light is still fine for "standard" mushrooms and some zoanthids, too.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I plan on getting the blue light (actinic?) light this weekend.

Also, found a place with small powerheads on special - R57 for a 500liter per hour. Ummm, that would be about US$7.6 for 109 gallons per hour. I think. Maths might be whacked out. :)

Came up with a cunning plan. I got some plastic tube - like used in garden irrigation or pumps. I sealed the end. Then, drilled really small holes along it, every cm or so. That's along the back of my tank with the holes aimed upwards, and the powerhead plugged into one end. Makes a nice surface ripples / disturbance. Will take photo's next week.

Cheers

Archived