Pod Your Reef

Vortech MP20 too weak...

jovis67

I bought a new vortech mp20 at phishybusiness a few weeks ago, its a cool toy but im not impressed!!

I have it set up on my 29G SPS tank and even on the highest setting I can get no wave action of any kind, it doesnt even blow the sand around at all!!!

Do you think its broken/malfunctioned? should i have gone with the mp40? it seems overkill on a 29G though right?

Thanks

Jovis

I have an MP20 in a 30 gallon long and I have about a 1 inch wave going.

What settings are you manipulating to try and get the Vortech to produce a wave?

Put it on short wave mode, highest setting. Then switch it to the quickest pulse, and slowly increase the pulse, you should see a wave. If I can get one in the three foot tank, you should be able to in a 30" tank.

Adam

You probably have to play around with the positioning of the pump location...I can get a standing wave in a 10g tank, so a 30" tank should be easier to get a standing wave going.

It's definitely not too weak though. It puts out 2000 gph at peak. I don't think 67x turnover of your tank volume is weak.

i doubt very highly that it is too weak! do like ataller said...and move it around th tank a bit, till you find the sweet spot...

a lot of times it's good to place it on the same side as your return so that the returns flow isnt blocking the vortechs true flow.

I have 2 korila #1 in there also, I think their interfering too much with the flow from the vortech

I'll probly take out the korilas, even tho I like how they add mix to the flow

ya do ya have a tank theard??? if u gotta vortech, then u really dont need those koralias! 2000gph vortech alone should make hawaiin waves in a 29! takem out put on ,i think its short wave or reef crest mode...highest setting, n let her rip!

I have a mp40w in my 30 gallon running at 1/2 to 3/4 power at reefcrest mode. Definitely capable of making standing waves, easily kicks up sand at anywhere above 3/4 power.

I don't have a tank thread right now because I don't get Internet service where I live, I wish I did

I took out the korilas and messed with the settings, the best wave I can get is .5in, that's 100% on short pulse mode

I kind of think that there is something wrong with it, if not then it is VERY unimpressive

give ecotech a call! something dont sound right! re-read all instructions...move around your vortech, ive heard of the magnets not lining up properly..make sure it is at its highest possible setting and...like i said if not call em up! or call the supplier u bought it from, and tell em u want a new one!

mark

the MP20 is a POS.

get the MP40W. you will love it.

read: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1862501

How is the MP20 a POS ? It is essentially the exact same thing as the MP40w with the GPH toned down by 1000gph at max (and no wireless). So unless you run your MP40 on max in your nano tank (which would be a bit extreme?) I doubt that you are seeing a difference..

I read your post on the thread linked. The cable just pushes back into the blue box if it comes out... not a serious problem.

I am interested in the fact that you said the MP20 is not 2000 GPH. Did you do any testing on your own, are you judging by eye/putting your hand in the tank?? Maybe you have a broken unit? My unit pushes more than enough water for my 30 gallon long.

Adam

After reading alot of people's reviews of the Vortech, I think there is a misunderstanding on what the flow on these actually put out. I think alot of people are expecting it to be a fire hose and blast everything around the whole tank. The flow on these is so broad it moves the entire column of water not just a portion so it makes it seem weaker than it actually is. Tank placement is also crucial.

After reading alot of people's reviews of the Vortech, I think there is a misunderstanding on what the flow on these actually put out. I think alot of people are expecting it to be a fire hose and blast everything around the whole tank. The flow on these is so broad it moves the entire column of water not just a portion so it makes it seem weaker than it actually is. Tank placement is also crucial.

yep.

btw, my tank loves the mp20.

Archived