Innovative Marine Aquariums

Best Skimmer Under $50

Aquapod24_

Hey guys. I have an Aquapod 24 and just got some SPS from a cool gent on this forum and I want to keep it alive. I currently have about 30 lbs live rock and 30 lbs livesand. This system has been up for 2 years now. Anyway. I want to buy a skimmer and I hear I really need that for healthy SPS. What skimmers are you nano guys using. If you post please also include if you are using this on an aquapod. And as for the title question. What's a good skimmer for under $50? Thanks.

Hey guys. I have an Aquapod 24 and just got some SPS from a cool gent on this forum and I want to keep it alive. I currently have about 30 lbs live rock and 30 lbs livesand. This system has been up for 2 years now. Anyway. I want to buy a skimmer and I hear I really need that for healthy SPS. What skimmers are you nano guys using. If you post please also include if you are using this on an aquapod. And as for the title question. What's a good skimmer for under $50? Thanks.

What's up Steve,

If I were you I would search the classifieds to see if you can find a good, used aqua c remora, tunze 9002, or even a coralife super skimmer 65. Alot of people dog on the coralife skimmers, but if you set them correctly they work great (I'm currently running a coralife 125 on my tank).

You'd be lucky to find any of these skimmers for $50, but you can probably find one for not too much more than that.

How's that 6025 working out for you?

What's up Steve,

If I were you I would search the classifieds to see if you can find a good, used aqua c remora, tunze 9002, or even a coralife super skimmer 65. Alot of people dog on the coralife skimmers, but if you set them correctly they work great (I'm currently running a coralife 125 on my tank).

You'd be lucky to find any of these skimmers for $50, but you can probably find one for not too much more than that.

How's that 6025 working out for you?

agreed. spend alittle bit more, buy a better, used skimmer .. not to mention it will prob. go to use for a bigger tank down the road, if not its atleast a skimmer you can resell that someone would want to buy.

in this kind of hobby, you get what you pay for.

really? I just got a deltec mce 300 for free!!!

well, it did cost me a few frags...

but yeah, vi3kid420 is pretty much right.

agreed. spend alittle bit more, buy a better, used skimmer .. not to mention it will prob. go to use for a bigger tank down the road, if not its atleast a skimmer you can resell that someone would want to buy.

Thanks guys. Glenn about that 6025... I plugged it up and it really started moving water. It really works but seems bit too much for a 24gal. I am gonna mess with it a bit. It just has an on feature right, no controls? Thanks again. I will get back to you soon.

Thanks guys. Glenn about that 6025... I plugged it up and it really started moving water. It really works but seems bit too much for a 24gal. I am gonna mess with it a bit. It just has an on feature right, no controls? Thanks again. I will get back to you soon.

yeah, I thought it might be. the mod really does make quite a difference on those pumps. stock they are rated at 600 gph which would probably be good in your tank. unfortunately, they aren't controllable :( .

you can order a new front shroud for them if you want to revese the mod back to the normal pump

skimmers and lights are two things i would not skimp on... they are too important

get the aqua remora nano. they should be around 100 used with pump and sub 100..probably 80 with no pump. still little outta your price range but the best option.

or look into air driven skimmer they can be easily customized and produce really good skim.

really? I just got a deltec mce 300 for free!!!

well, it did cost me a few frags...

but yeah, vi3kid420 is pretty much right.

Smarty pants! :P lol!

Ok, not necessarily what you pay, but the retail cost of the item. ;)

Smarty pants! :P lol!

Ok, not necessarily what you pay, but the retail cost of the item. ;)

my 4.50 skimmer pulled this

2939674953_ba2f1ff2d5_b.jpg

i guess cheap stuff does suck :rolleyes:

or you could get an odyssea ps75 skimmer from aquatraders for 32.00 and get skimate like this in less than 12 hrs of cleaning the cup. i used to have a tunze 9002 and it would take it a week to pull this much out...i read the thread on rc about this skimmer and ended up selling my 9002 and getting this one....i love this skimmer although it takes a good 2-3 weeks for break in after that skims like crazy compared to my 9002 i had

DSCF1491.jpg

Haha.....I think the customs slip on mine said Hong Kong. I run a tunze 9002 on my 29g but I use one of these on my 14g BC.....surprising how much skimmate they prodiuce.

the fission nano skimmer is a joke. It sucks_The instructions are retarded. The only way it takes out material is by its "Micro bubble reducer"-yeah its the main filtration. Desn't even reduce bubbles. Don't fall for their tricks.

I have an aqua C remora on my 12 gallon nano and it works great, Even with no fish in the tank. The cup fills over a week and is so thick I can't see the other side of the collection cup though the liquid it pull out. So If you can find a used one for cheap I would get it. (I payed $189 for mine but you never know if there would be a used one for sale on the forums).

bubble magus is a pretty good skimmer. their big skimmers are on par with or better than big shot skimmers. build quality is pretty good too. some people might say its a bubble king or ati skimmer knock off tho.

lots of people in hong kong use them with good success. theres micro bubble problem with the skimmer tho.. a piece of foam at the bottom easily fixes the problem

theres a thread on RC about bubble magus skimmers

bubble magus club

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...hreadid=1438511

another bubble magus thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...mp;pagenumber=1

BMQQ skimmer

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...mp;pagenumber=7

scroll down a big..the guy talks about

if you want to know if it's good so i have aqua c , jebo , seclone , and they not come close to what this skimmer doing

this guy imports these skimmers so you can get them locally with 1 year support

http://www.nuocean.com/

I have a cheapo $15(with shipping) air driven one from ebay and I get skim like the 2 attached pics....they really do work.

Skimmer

UR AVY is umm.. not violation? lol

On the skimmer.

I am using a tunze 9005 on my 60 gallon. I love it. It's great and I believe you get what you pay for. Sizing and fitment is more of an issue IMHO. I get skimmate very quick.

Good luck.

masterbuilder

Too be honest... a skimmer under $50, unless you can score a fantastic deal on a used one, is a complete waste of money.

So..... the BEST skimmer under $50 is more water changes.

Archived