Pod Your Reef

Which Reef Controller to Choose?

scottyreef

Well after seeing a lot of people on this site have a Real time Tank info in ther Sig and i guess i would like to go down this road as well.

I have had tank controller in the past on my larger systems that gave me tank info such as pH,Orp, Temp and to tell is my Light is on or off. but that has been about 5 years and i know that tech world moves fast.

( A old GHL ProfiLux Pro)

So i would like to get some insight on which Reef controller to get.

What probes to get other than pH and Temp.

What is involved in getting you tank info online do you need special software?

What is the process on programming it?

lastly were is the best place to these items

Thank a bunch

Scott

Scotty, if you just desire temp and pH, you can't go wrong with an ACjr. for the price! If you need more or want bells and whistles, then go RK Elite... It really comes down to what you want it to do. ACjr works just fine for me, though I wish mine had the serial port option... :(

If you want real time telemetry out of the box remotely via the Interwebs you will need a Neptune Systems Aquacontroller III. It has built in Ethernet, web server, email alerts, pH/ORP/temp probes, two float switch inputs, timers, etc. It will cost you about $500 with all of the above plus a DC8 8 plug controllable power strip.

If you want more flexibility and modularity down the road at the sacrifice of real time telemetry right now then go with the Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Elite at $490. It will have an Ethernet module for it sometime in this quarter or the beginning of next that will be under $130 dollars per DA staff and will have a module that will allow you to monitor salinity some time in the coming new year. To do that with a AquaController you will have to spend $800+ on a Pro model.

I have run both. I have a RKE on my tank with plans to go back to a ACIII most likely this week depending on how the mood strikes after getting over this flu I have. I just sold my AC III Pro. If I do go with an ACIII on my tank I will use the RKE on another tank (don't tell my wife please ;) ) that I am working on.

In terms of programming... The ACIII has a scripting language that is allot more powerful out of the box than the RKE as it allows you to program it from a PC/Mac whereas the RKE is programmed via the console.

In terms of display and in terms of expandability the RKE wins hands down as the ACIII is pretty much locked into what you see is what you get. However the downside is that the RKE is still very much a 1.0 product (they are on software release 1.08) so expect some issues with it.

UH

wow thanks a lot guy sorry about the late reply i am also on the couch sick as a dog. I think i might go for the Neptune Systems Aquacontroller III but if funds are tight when i plan to get this i might go for the ACjr. But we will see thanks again fella's

My ACJr. is fantastic. I really just need pH (don't even have that probe hooked up yet), temperature control, lighting control, heater/chiller, moonlights, etc.

A couple things I'm already in love with:

-feed mode: turns off pumps of your choice for a duration of your choice, just hit a button when you want to feed

-It sets my moonlights with the 0000/0000 code to actually match the lunar cycle, and even varies to the LED wattage to match the intensity of the moon and its exact timing on any give night. It can also mimic yearly cycles of sunset/sunrise, even natural ocean temperature fluctuations.

BK, you have the pH probe, or just haven't hooked it up? If you need, I has one on the cheap. ;)

Scotty, sounds like a good call. AC III is a nice unit. But the ACjr. is pretty capable too on a budget and won't dissapoint either. Heck, ANY controller is better than none at all, lol!

Well i just bought a Neptune Systems Aquacontroller III , A standard PH Probe and ORP and a DC8. Does anyone know if a DC8 is rated to turn on a 150 watt sunpod HQI?

what is the difference between the Neptune Systems Aquacontroller III & Pro version model except $200. I have read both discriptions and i might have missed something but i can tell the differnce aside from the look

Nevermind the AquaController III Pro it has on board Conductivity Monitor/Control and Dissolved Oxygen Monitor/Control I really dont need that. I wonder if there is a way to use a expansion module in the future if i want to get one of those probes?

Archived