Pod Your Reef

lighting requirement for coralline

Jandree22

Hey all,

I'm setting up a 20H FOWLR system for my bro. He's gonna have about 25lbs of gulf-view rock in it. I'm trying desperately to keep costs down for him. Now I know this isn't ideal, but would it be sufficient to keep the coralline alive under one 20W flourescent? He's a beginner in SW aquariums and I def wanna lead him down the LR route instead of the UG filter route, and it'll be hard to convince him if he has to dish out for a double light fixture. He's got three kids so this is the reason I'm trying to watch the $$$;) Anyways, would one tube keep the coralline alive or should he DEF go with two?

Thanks

I have always found that corralline starts growing in darker areas of the tank and, if you check ipsf.com's site with regards to their booster pegs, they suggest cramming them inbetween rocks so I would say the lower wattage would be fine.

yep, about the only place I have coralline growing at the moment is in my sump/fuge, lighting is a single 13w pc. the main tank is a 20 with a 175MH and 2x55w PC's....

water quality will be key... calcium over 400 and 0 phosphates...

-skeletor-

I was wondering if I scape corraline off from one rock and let it just float freely in the tank - will it grow on other rocks and the aquarium sides ... or does it die when not attached to rock?

I have nice coralline coverage (pinks, purples, reds) on the rock in my holding tank: 12 gal under 15 or 18w NO bulb. Try to find the brightest spectrum NO bulb you can, if you have a choice.

Did he buy an entire setup including the hood, lights, etc? If he hasn;t purchased it yet, maybe just get the tank/stand and get a canopy for it with some decent lighting. That's a deep tank for a small volume, so the light will look pretty dim. AH Supply 24" enclosure is only $34.99 if you don;t feel like DIY'ing something, and you can change/upgrade the lighting as he gets completely hooked.

I would also recommend an AH Supply 55w bright kit, with the MIRO reflector and maybe a 50/50 bulb. These reflectors really rock.

Archived