SaltCritters.com

maxijet 1200 outside water?

elcarlio

Hi, im installing a gravity refuge, where the pump goes in the aquarium and water gets back from fuge by gravity. Thing is i want my pump to be outside my aquarium and i know maxijet can be used outside. Catch here is that it wont suck water when its outside. Ive been doing tests, putting onlye the little sucking tube it has and doesnt suck water unless i tilt it a bit. Anyone got an idea?

What? I don't really understand what you're doing. If the water drains back into the aquarium because of gravity where is the drain on the fuge? If it's too low you're going to flood the tank in the event of a power outage.

And most pumps do better at "pushing" water than "pulling" water. If you can use the pump at the bottom to push water upwards it will work far better than having the pump sit higher and try to pull water up.

jmigchelbrink

The pump won't prime it self. If you want the pump to be self priming, you have to plumb it below the surface of the water, i.e. you need to drill your tank. Thats why most people put it below the tank. That and the fact that the water level will be constant in your fuge, but change in the display with evaporation

yes it can be done. find the correct pvc adapters and you could plumb it externally. YOU WILL HAVE TO PRIME IT THOUGH! do this by filling the plumbing with water and turning the pump on, it will suck up the water and create a vacumm that will start to suck water from the aquarium. hope this makes sense.

wow fast answer, thanks.

My fuge is higher than my tank. And on a power shortage my drain has a tube sticking up, only a bit of water will return to the tank. Im trying to save the pods on this one.

Thanks 121, ill try that out just as i click "ADD REPLY"

Not the best pic or setup of one, but here's an MJ900 I have externally plumbed to circulate my UV and Phos-Ban reactor loop. I prime by sucking the return end of the line... :eek: I definitely plan on replumbing it so I can prime it another way.

ext_mj900.jpg

gulfsurfer101

I kinda want to remove the false wall of my 12g Ap when I add a sump under neath and use an AP24 pump as a return but I also wanted to drill the tank for a closed loop and run it with an external maxijet1200. I guess this would be a good thread to pick up ideas for bringing that dream into reality. I would imagine it would self prim since it would be sitting less than mid-level of the tank right.

Archived