Innovative Marine Aquariums

debating on removing skimmer

thisanthrope

I would like to hear some peoples advice with experiences using a skimmer on nano reefs. I have a 10 gal. LR/LS nano and a few soft corals. I keep getting mixed info on the benifit or harm a skimmer can do to a nano reef. people have said regular water changes is all you need but I would like to do all I can to remove bad elements that produce algae. At the same time I have read that using a skimmer is going to deplete the calcium, iodine, magneseum, etc... that I add to the water column to keep my corals alive.

It sounds like you know the story. Skimming removes elements that need to be replaced by dosing; and since it is not practical to test for all of these elements, you are guessing that these levels are OK. Since nanos don’t have much margin for error, this poses some risk (making water changes a safer way to remove excess nutrients).

On the other hand, skimmers remove nutrients and other elements that can be harmful in quantity. The feeding requirements of some inhabitants can put an additional load on your system making it necessary to perform more frequent water changes or to add a skimmer.

I’m feeding filter feeder foods and have recently decided to purchase a skimmer. I already dose B-Ionic and I will continue to perform weekly water changes to help replenish the necessary elements that will be removed.

dude, the skimmer removes right? but by doing weekly water changes you are replenishing, its not like the skimmer removes it instantly but slowly over time, how much time depends on type of skimmer, water volume, levels of cal, mag, etc... so basically yeah it removes but if you keep up with the water changes you'll be alright. that's just my honest opinion,, but if you think i'm full of shiet then i'm sorry.

based on what Ive read I believe my tank would benifit more with a skimmer than not. I am still learning all of the in and outs of reef keeping and was merely taking a poll to see what has worked for others.

I dont believe anyone questioned if elgordo was full of his own feces what with a very reasonable reply. no....dont be sorry.

thank you both

If I were you, I'd try removing the skimmer and see what happens. Probably, you will not notice any change at all, and you will have one less thing to maintain. I personally never used one on my 5 gal, since it was so darn easy to do major water changes.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If your corals and inhabitants look happy and healthy, I wouldn;t change a thing. Maybe go the other route: increase either the frequency or volume of your water changes to see if the increased replenishment of the removed "stuff" helps more.

I've run skimmers on 12 and 10 gal tanks, as well as ecosystem hang-on fuges. I like the skimmers, since you can monitor the amount of waste in the tank, but the ecosystem, which also works great, allows more tank real estate.

The health of your livestock is the most important thing to monitor.

Archived