Coral Vue Hydros

LOOKING FOR A BETTER FILTER-ANY IDEAS?

liveclown

I Have a fowlr 25 and plan to get a 55 in the near future. I have the regular power filter. The cartridges constantly have to be replaced. I am looking for a mechancle and chemical filter that will keep my water crystal clear. Can not spend over $100 and what about adding D.E.,(Ditamacious earth or whatever)?? Someone told me it keeps their water clear and they just add it to their filter media. What type of filter do you guys out there use?? Advice and product recommendations would be great.

I use an Aquaclear 70, I cut foam pads and I use Pura Complete in between two pads.. it's an all-in-one media. It works pretty good water is crystal clear. I had a bad batch of water or something and silicates were forming.. i completely got rid of them.. none nada!

Polyester floss. You can buy it at craft stores, Walmart, etc. Make sure it's 100% poly and no additives. I run carbon all the time.. why not.

Walmart is the cheapest for floss. They have the pillow stuffing type and the sheet type for quilts and stuff. I use a combo of both. You can get bulk carbon from your LFS or online vendors like Bulk Reef Supply.

Do I have to have an acuaclear to do this?? Could I Use a regular power filter for now?? Does the aquaclear work differently?? How do you personally pack the media and floss. Could I do like a phosban as well

You can pack pretty much any filter that has a media area with floss. Aqualcears have large capacity so thats why people like them. I usually wrap the pillow stuffing stuff in the sheet type stuff and shove it in the filter.

hahahaha, where does the carbon go??? Behind it???

How long would one gallon of carbon last me form bulkreefsupply.com???

25 gallon tank.

Any other advice and comments on different filters that would be more sufficient for my 25 gallon that does not require to be replace with new foam and such sooner than once a month,lol.

hahahaha, where does the carbon go??? Behind it???

How long would one gallon of carbon last me form bulkreefsupply.com???

25 gallon tank.

Usually change carbon every two weeks...

What else does carbon do?? Does it clear my water?? I mean, lke what are the benefits besides taking meds. out of the water, cause thats not what Im looking for. I thought it pulled organics out and such.

Carbon is chemical filtration. It will remove chemicals, odors, colors from the water. A protein skimmer will remove the organics from the water.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Start doing some research on your own. I'm not trying to be mean, but you seem pretty clueless about this hobby - despite the fact that you have said in other threads that you have done research.

kk, I do research. I am not exactly clueless, just getting a second opinion really and asking others what they think....

I don't really know what the problem with asking a question on a forum is. I havent posted a topic in a while. As in every hour, hehe. No, but I was asking what filter I should get....

sorry, misread one of your posts. i thought you didn't know what the point of carbon is. you kinda know what it is used for...

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Start doing some research on your own. I'm not trying to be mean, but you seem pretty clueless about this hobby - despite the fact that you have said in other threads that you have done research.

I think he's second guessing himself, and doesn't want to make a mistake. Like the first time I dripped Kalk.. Get an Aquaclear, is the most versatile imo for the money. It has a large capacity for just about any media, and you can make it into a fuge.. do eet!

Archived