inTank Media Baskets

? about Collinista snails

hazmat

At first I noticed just a few but now I'm finding LOTS of them.....like last night one 4x4 rock had 20 snails of differing sizes on it. Then I really started looking and founds them all over the place. I'm sure I have easily a hundred tiny snails in there.

Do I leave them all in there?? I have read that they reproduce readily but with the rate they are going I could be in the thousands by 2009! :lol: OK, maybe thats an exaggeration.

Should I start weeding them out or just let them be?

i have them also....i think there numbers will reach a equilibrium over time.

I hope so! It makes me wonder if there is a "queen" snail in one of my rocks thats just sits there and shoots out babies like bees do. :P J/K I still can't believe how many there are. I was hoping some of my hermits might use them for food.

Thank you for the reponse!

You shouldn't worry. Actually, you may want to limit how many introduced snails, like astraeas/ceriths/turbos, are in the tank.

You shouldn't worry. Actually, you may want to limit how many introduced snails, like astraeas/ceriths/turbos, are in the tank.

Thanks. I haven't put any new snails in my tank in a long time. I have a total of 4 ceriths, 2 Trochus (which I always thought were Turbo snails), 1 Turbo, and 5 that I think are Nerite. They are black with a silver swirl on the top of them.

My best snail by far is the Turbo. I have some kind of macro algae that is growing on my GSP rock and the Maxima clam shell. The turbo will eat every last spec off of them! Sometimes I will even move him to where an algae outbreak is.

Thanks again Laks!! I won't worry about it. I'm moving soon and I'm sure the move will get rid of plenty.

Archived