Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help! Ideas for HOB Fuge

benlaw13

I have a 29 AGA with a 150W MH hang-on aqualight fixture like this one.

Here is a shot from behind the tank. It is setup in the wet bar between my living room and dinning room so it viewable from the front and back (haven’t decided if I’m going to cover it on the back side or not):

29_Back.jpg

The LR has only been in a couple days now and I’m still trying to work out the details for a refugium before I get some LS. My dilemma is not knowing if a HOB fuge will work in this type of setup because of the light. It might seem like poor planning, but I already had the tank and the light from another previous FW planted tank.

The tank is a standard 29G AGA (30” wide), and the base of the light fixture is about 5.5” wide, obviously right in the middle. I’m leaning to the AquaFuge 2, but still can’t seem to confirm to myself that one would work in this type of setup or not.

Can anyone help me confirm that this will or won’t work?

Besides me trying to build my own fuge (not going to happen), any recommendations of something that would work better?

Thanks for any help!

• 1 month later...

I think you should reconsider buildung your own fuge. NOt that hard to do. All I did for my Aquaclear 70 fuge was take some Aquarium safe epoxy, and I cut some eggcrate, and just epoxied the eggcrate so chaeto wouldnt escape.

Plus, I did that all for like 1/4th of what it will cost for the Aquafuge.

I dont see any problem with the Metal halide light as far as the light spilling, but you didnt specify where you were going to place the fuge...

if you can work around that light, I can't suggest the AC110 enough. I have one on my 10 gallon. You can mod one to be a super fuge, just use it for a place to put a heater and some cheato, or just as a HOB which gives great circulation.

Archived