Top Shelf Aquatics

How to keep Chaeto in place in Nano Cube?

mannyp1313

Hi all,

I have modded the second chamber in my nano-cube as a fuge where I keep a lump of chaeto. My problem is that half the time the freaking thing floats to the top and then starts falling apart to the point where it jams my pump OR little pieces keep falling off and then I get a nasty build up on the screen to my powerhead.

For those of you with fuges in your Nanos, how do you keep this from happening?

Hi all,

I have modded the second chamber in my nano-cube as a fuge where I keep a lump of chaeto. My problem is that half the time the freaking thing floats to the top and then starts falling apart to the point where it jams my pump OR little pieces keep falling off and then I get a nasty build up on the screen to my powerhead.

For those of you with fuges in your Nanos, how do you keep this from happening?

I have a bag of chemipure, and a small bag of purigen in the bottom of chamber two, the chaeto is on top of that. Those two bags slow down the flow of water so the chaeto doesnt move.

I really dont have a problem with mine unless I tear some off and get rid of it. Then I will have to clean the pump inlet at least once or twice. I usually end of with some small pieces in the Display area, but I swear I have seen my hermits munching on it.

I made a basket that slides in the mid chamber. I got the material from Hobby Lobby for about 2 bucks. Used plastic ties from HL cost about a buck. Total $3.00 works awesome. Very easy to make. Here is finished pic

IMG_2242.jpg

This is how I did it. Go buy an emperor filter cartridge, tear it apart and use the screen to cut and put in place like this. I also use this to set a bag of chemipure on top of, works great for me.

post-37774-1225152009_thumb.jpg

I took a hunk of filter sponge and sliced a thin section to fit the right side wall and fit it so as to cover the openings.

Keeps da cheets contained....but be sure to clean frequently.

All good ideas here folks!

Archived