Pod Your Reef

Circulation in a 10g

Mano

I rambled about this a bit in my tank thread, but I figured for best results I should post here. ;)

I just started a 10g nano reef and am concerned about circulation. I have an AquaClear 20 (127gph) which gives a great current but only at the top of the tank, and a Hydor Koralia nano near the bottom of the opposite end of the tank, which seems to have a pretty weak stream which disperses quickly.

I'm considering replacing the AquaClear with a more powerful submersible powerhead to get some deeper currents going, but I'm not sure if it's necessary or not. The AquaClear causes the water surface shows slight ripples all the way to the other side of the tank, where as the Koralia seems to be blowing almost directly into coral.

The only immediate submersible replacement I could get for the AquaClear is a 400gph model, which seems a bit overkill for a 10g. Which means I'd be ordering online and would end up waiting even longer, so I really need to be planning ahead!

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

I rambled about this a bit in my tank thread, but I figured for best results I should post here. ;)

I just started a 10g nano reef and am concerned about circulation. I have an AquaClear 20 (127gph) which gives a great current but only at the top of the tank, and a Hydor Koralia nano near the bottom of the opposite end of the tank, which seems to have a pretty weak stream which disperses quickly.

I'm considering replacing the AquaClear with a more powerful submersible powerhead to get some deeper currents going, but I'm not sure if it's necessary or not. The AquaClear causes the water surface shows slight ripples all the way to the other side of the tank, where as the Koralia seems to be blowing almost directly into coral.

The only immediate submersible replacement I could get for the AquaClear is a 400gph model, which seems a bit overkill for a 10g. Which means I'd be ordering online and would end up waiting even longer, so I really need to be planning ahead!

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

See my reply on MFT

on my 5.5 i ran 2 aquaclear 50's and a koralia nano....

so i'd say atleast 1 aquaclear 50 and 1 koralia nano or a koralia 1 should workout nicely and give you no dead spots

Hey guys :D

Thanks for the advice, ended up going with keeping the Koralia and replacing the AquaClear with a Penguin 550. The 145gph gives some very nice movement, which is interacting with the more circular output of the Koralia which is on the back of the tank facing forward. The result is a nice clash of tides almost perfectly at the tank center. Makes for a bit more interest, watching the water ripple where they clash!

HUH HUH, .................HUH HUH...............................HUHUHUHU........hahahahahahahaha.

Randomness rocks....

On my 25 I have 1 korlia nano...you are for sure right on the flow of it... It really isnt sufficient. I have one along with a HOB filter on my 25 gal.

Im thinking of upgrading....

.........hmmmmmmmm???

From what I've read, the korlia 1's are very nice, high output, but with a more wide output area so ti gives a nice, wide, steady flow. I know that with the korlia's they do great movement but you don't notice it as much since it's such a large area. Doesn't mean nothing's being done. XD

Archived