Pod Your Reef

Tank Moving

vekk

I've become pretty interested in starting up a nano tank. My only other aquarium experience has been with small freshwater tanks but these salt tanks look just beautiful.

I'll be going off to college in about a year and I was wondering how much work would be involved in moving the tank between home and dorm every year. How much die off would I be expecting and would it put too much strain on the tank. The college I am thinking of attending is about a 1.5 hour drive from where I live.

Thanks

Hey Vekk, I was in the same boat you were now. I just left for college (coincidentally, a 1.5 hour drive...) and I too am living in the dorms. I figured I cant have any larger tank, and freshwater just isnt as cool as a nano reef, so after a lot of thinking about the whole 'moving around' aspect, I said what the heck.

And really, its not too much work (think of those people who have to move fully stocked 200 gallon + reefs when they move...). Basically, you just need a few 5 gallon plastic buckets, which you should have anyway for water changes and such, to move things in. One for the LR, another for LR with corals (carefully placed) and another for the fish/inverts you have. The only other thing you need to make sure of is keep about 1" of water above the sand bed and just move the tank itself like that. I have a 7g minibow, and as long as you're thinking >10 gallons, it should be cake. But since you're in a dorm, I'm sure thats the rule anyhow.

It makes a dorm room, everyone in my hall is envious of my tank. And this was my first SW tank, just read like crazy, and IMO, start when you get there, not now unless you want to deal with more moves than necessary.

Archived