Pod Your Reef

VorTech MP20 in a BC29

LIreefer

I've had my BC29 set up for abut 3 1/2 months, amo,trites and trates are all at 0. Currently I have the stock BC29 pump and a Koralia 1 pump for my water current. I only have 1 clown in the tank right now. Here's the question. I get green algae growing on the glass a few days after I scrape it. It seems like it reappears alittle faster than it used to. The sand has no algae and it doesn't get on my LR either. Do I need more flow? Where the Koralia 1 is pointed there is no algae. I am thinking an MP20 might be the answer...what do you guys think? It is a nice piece of equipment and the reviews I read on here are awesome. Is it over kill for a 30 gallon tank? Will it put an end to the green algae on my glass or at least cut down how fast it grows? I feed my fish every other day. I do regular water changes.

Thanks,

Pete

dahliaheartsyou

what are your coral plans?

i have the stock and a k1 too and it is PLENTY enough for what i keep, actually my lps are ticked about it lol, but have you checked your phosphate levels? what is your water source?

imo THAT IS A LOT OF FREAKIN MONEY for a pump :o

i could see a lot more things you could buy instead of it...but thats just me =]

Water source is RODI, I have to check my phosphates again, last I checked it was 0

what are your coral plans?

i have the stock and a k1 too and it is PLENTY enough for what i keep, actually my lps are ticked about it lol, but have you checked your phosphate levels? what is your water source?

imo THAT IS A LOT OF FREAKIN MONEY for a pump :o

i could see a lot more things you could buy instead of it...but thats just me =]

dahliaheartsyou
Water source is RODI, I have to check my phosphates again, last I checked it was 0

how long is your photoperiod?

and what type of algae, like cyano or hair algae?

what is your cuc?

I have a vortech mp20 on my BC29, previously I had 2xkoralia 1 with the stock pump. The flow is amazing no doubt and it's interesting how different corals react to this. I only run it on reef crest around 50% or it is too much on my newer acans. It seems they can be acclimated to the flow but it takes time. I have every intention of upgrading to a 70 cube that was the rationale for purchasing it. I think the first suspect in this tank is buildup in the rear chambers as a source for increased organics.

I forgot to add that I do not have a skimmer in this tank. I was trying to keep it simple, but now am wondering if this is a result of 3 1/2 months of no skimming. The main reason I didn't purchase a skimmer is because I was worried about it depleting my water of nutrients and other vital elements to my livestock and fish. Right now I only have a torch coral, a frag of yellow/blue/green zoas about 15 polyps worth and a hairy mushroom.

how long is your photoperiod?

and what type of algae, like cyano or hair algae?

what is your cuc?

I put my actinics on for about an hour, the 10,000k pc's for about 8 hours and actincs for another hour. So about 10 hours total. (the actinics run for the full 10 hours)

It's not cyano, I guess it is your typical green algae/green hair algae just on the glass and a little on the back wall.

I would call what he describes spot algae on the glass. Something is going to grow on your glass no matter, if you get the spot algae taken care of you'll just be scraping coraline. I think you might appreciate the help of some more nerites and astrea snails (you could buy a lot of snails for 300 dollars). Like dahlia said, who's in your clean up crew?

I would call what he describes spot algae on the glass. Something is going to grow on your glass no matter, if you get the spot algae taken care of you'll just be scraping coraline. I think you might appreciate the help of some more nerites and astrea snails (you could buy a lot of snails for 300 dollars). Like dahlia said, who's in your clean up crew?

Well, my CUC may be lacking a bit in the snail department. Right now I have 2 emerald crabs, 4 hermits crabs, and 2 Mexican turbo snails. I have a cleaner shrimp, but I don't think you would consider that CUC. I had a few more snails earlier on, but they flipped over and must of got eaten. I didn't want to have to many snails in fear that they would eat all the algae and than die due to not enough food.

dahliaheartsyou
Well, my CUC may be lacking a bit in the snail department. Right now I have 2 emerald crabs, 4 hermits crabs, and 2 Mexican turbo snails. I have a cleaner shrimp, but I don't think you would consider that CUC. I had a few more snails earlier on, but they flipped over and must of got eaten. I didn't want to have to many snails in fear that they would eat all the algae and than die due to not enough food.

thats exactly how i felt, i have 3 turbos and 2 astreas (and 7 hermits)

buuut, many people have like 15 snails or something in their 29's (which is crazy still to me) so I think you should definitely add a few more snails...maybe something like nass snails that cant get tipped and just die

if you are worried about them, you can always feed them some seaweed as a treat

=]

I have a MP-20 in my 10g right now (soon to be upgraded), and it's definitely a great pump and provides a lot more water movement.

I also had the same problem with algae on the glass only with a powerhead in there. I got a few more snails, and the problems seems to have declined, but not disappeared completely.

It's a lot of money, but for what it does, it's definitely worth it. It moves a lot of water, and for what it does, it easily replaces 2 - 4 powerheads and a wavemaker. I personally wanted the strong random water currents, so it was an obvious choice. If you're got the funds for it, I'd do it.

Archived