Pod Your Reef

New to site! ........ Help!

Nina

YAY! I found a site for little guys, I was beginning to think small tanks wern't popular. I started up a 18 gal via aqua closed hood back in may, 17 lbs LS, 14 lbs LR, I now have 1 perc, a white sand sifting goby ( forgott the name) and a hippo,(only a temp, hes going back sooon, I din't know he needed a big tank) green stripe shrooms, xenia, and recordia. I only have what came with the tank, plus a heater, I still have standerd lights and no added filters or pumps. my blue light is a 15w marine glow, Does any one have any tips on equitment I should add? New lights? I'm I heading for a crash? and $$$ I cant really break the bank right now.

You really need new lights.

Get a retro fit because they are alot cheaper. If I were you I would get atleast 64w of lighting.

Xenia and ricordia like alot of light and probably won't last too long with 15w.

What is the color temp of the bulb 6,500K 10,000K or what?

A 64w retro will run around $100 but you will need to build a canopy to attatch it to.

Lighting is the most important thing in a reef tank.

Welcome,

Search thru the lighting and DYI forums. You'll find some great ideas for lighting options. Everything you have is lower light corals........that being said, not that low! Like surfy said, a 64w retro is about $100....also look at the 96w powerquad.......Also $100 and it is in its own hood. If you can......look into some MH options.....it will give you alot of options down the road.

What sort of water movement do you have? PH? HOB?

HTH

My hood has a built in filter with a drip type return , I dont use any powerhead because things seem to be moving pertty good even low in the tank, I have no ides what kind of bulbs they are really, the lfs said " thease will work great!" but I have learned my lesson on LFS. AS for getting a new hood I would have to get new filter system which I dont think I can afford right now. I can get the 10000k bulbs will that be enough?

HEY Onthefly, your in portland, is sodas saltwater still around?

Archived