ReefCleaners.org

Stupid Question but i want to know!!!@@

ryux21

I would suggest against it. If you do a search you will find that many people do not like hermit crabs in their tanks, as they can get aggressive. A lot of them don't really like to eat algae and would prefer more meaty foods.

In my own experience I bought two blue legged hermit crabs and the next day one of the crabs had gotten a new large Cerith snail shell and was munching on the carcass. Then again, my snail could have already been dying and the hermit just finished him off...I never see my hermits do anything. They seem to sleep all day and only come out when all of the lights are out. My snails on the other hand do so much more- they clean the rocks, sand, and glass.

Hermit are good to have......they will pick all the "scabs" off your LR and keep the LR clean. Sometimes they will eat algae, but if there is other food available, they may prefer it over the algae. All that being said, you have to provide options for them other than those sweet looking snail shells......I keep 5-7 shells (larger than the ones they're in now) tucked vehind the LR...they swap them out all the time.

I have a small blue leg and 2 larger baja red legs.....they have never once looked at me astreas or nass's

My Scarlet Reef Hermits are more interested in eating my macro algae than my Blue Leg is. They also help sift the upper layers of my sand bed and scavenge food that my clownfish misses. They are interesting creatures to be sure.

nano08.jpg

Archived