Top Shelf Aquatics

glass holes nano overflow kits? other questions too

rotarymagic

I was going to order the nano super for my Tunze MACNA 15gallon tank and run a maxijet1200 for return pump... Is this going to be sufficient since its only going back up about 3feet? sump will be a 5.5 because that's all that can fit in the stand lol... I'm wanting to use a wye and locline with flared ends to direct flow in the tank.. I really don't want a bunch of powerheads cluttering the tank. I want to keep LPS and softies (rics, zoas, etc.)

Also for lighting, should I go with a 70watt or 150watt MH? It's an open top tank ~15.5x~15.5x~13.75high (40x40x35cm)

cell phone pics..

DSC00156.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00158.jpg

DSC00159.jpg

DSC00160.jpg

even though you only want to keep low light corals....i would still opt for the 150. down the road you WILL change your mind. also you will need power heads in the tank....when you try to use return as your only source of flow....it just dont work..microbubbles from the sump...and such.

even though you only want to keep low light corals....i would still opt for the 150. down the road you WILL change your mind. also you will need power heads in the tank....when you try to use return as your only source of flow....it just dont work..microbubbles from the sump...and such.

If I use bubble traps, how will I get microbubbles? I guess I'll try to find a way to hide powerheads if it doesn't work.

I was trying to avoid hooking up my chiller to it... sigh... I guess its inevitable.

if you set up your sump properly with baffles and sponge to catch micro bubbles, it is very easy to eliminate them in the main tank. although i think maxi jet 1200 is not going to be enough for a return pump with 3feet of head. look into the maxijet utility pumps that could handle more flow and head. a 500gph pump would be ideal, you can alway put a valve on the pump to reduce the output flow, or T it off and have it feed the chiller if needed. if i understand your post, you want to split the return in 2 to direct the flow correct? that will greatly reduce the out put velocity and wont create a sand storm in your tank and still have around 300gph flowing through the main tank.

if you set up your sump properly with baffles and sponge to catch micro bubbles, it is very easy to eliminate them in the main tank. although i think maxi jet 1200 is not going to be enough for a return pump with 3feet of head. look into the maxijet utility pumps that could handle more flow and head. a 500gph pump would be ideal, you can alway put a valve on the pump to reduce the output flow, or T it off and have it feed the chiller if needed. if i understand your post, you want to split the return in 2 to direct the flow correct? that will greatly reduce the out put velocity and wont create a sand storm in your tank and still have around 300gph flowing through the main tank.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do... yeah I figured I might need a stronger return pump, I was just worried about the limits of the overflow.

you should be fine with that overflow kit. i have one 1 inch bulkhead with around 600 gph flow going through my tank and the bulk head was able to handle whatever i threw at it.

You think that MJ utility 1800 would work? 255gph at 4feet of head pressure. The MJ utility 3000 is 500gph at 4feet of head pressure. You think if I plumbed my 1/15 mini arctica chiller it would get overwhelmed by an MJ3000? Should I put the chiller on its own MJ1200 recirculating within the return pump basin? I'm trying to keep powerheads out of the tank, but I can stand having two locline tubes hidden behind rock.

I built one of those things yardboy has in the fuge of ghetto beauty. It works like a charm. It's basically 2 pieces of pvc one inside the other cut and drilled to make baffles. I like that it doesnt filter the water mechanically like a filter sock. Mechanical filtration is so 1990 :P

I think a MJ1200 would be plenty, depending on what you are doing down in sumpland. I run a similar setup (10 gal 3 feet above a fuge) and I use a 1200 as a return and it's borderline too much laminar flow for some of my LPS. If you need more flow somewhere in the display you can always drop in a Koralia Nano. Also most small overflows cap out at about 300 gph which is just right for the MJ1200.

I built one of those things yardboy has in the fuge of ghetto beauty. It works like a charm. It's basically 2 pieces of pvc one inside the other cut and drilled to make baffles. I like that it doesnt filter the water mechanically like a filter sock. Mechanical filtration is so 1990 :P

I think a MJ1200 would be plenty, depending on what you are doing down in sumpland. I run a similar setup (10 gal 3 feet above a fuge) and I use a 1200 as a return and it's borderline too much laminar flow for some of my LPS. If you need more flow somewhere in the display you can always drop in a Koralia Nano. Also most small overflows cap out at about 300 gph which is just right for the MJ1200.

That's what I was originally going to use and its convenient because I already have a 1200 laying around.

Archived