Coral Vue Hydros

here is a mystery for everyone to solve!

tdsounds

I finally got my nano to run for about 2 and 1/2 months now. I bought a fire shrimp for 32 bucks three days ago and for 2 days it went missing. Today was water change day and I picked up all the rocks and still couldn't find him. I think he crawled out the tank from the heater power cord. If so I still can't find his body anywhere. This sucks mang as I really liked that shrimp. On top of that my gsp does'nt even open up today. I want to run out to buy another shrimp but I afraid I might be wasting my money. Any clues?

Here's my tanks guys:

10 gallon nano

201 ph

3inch playsand

12lbs live rock

6 astrea snails

6 blue hermits

2 red hermits

2 false percs

1 green star polyp

small regent hob (empty)

1500ml kent doser

xenia

It's possible, and he probably would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those darn kids! I think it's weird that you have no body for evidence though. Do you have a dog, cat, or perhaps a young child that might have eaten it if it died on the floor? I'd say it could be your ph because 201 is high for even saltwater, oh powerhead, nevermind. Fire shrimp=Spontaneous Combustion? Nah, I don't know, I'd try to find out though before buying another one. Are you suuuuuure he's not hiding??

I agree with Beaker. It's possible your shrimp crawled out from your tank and probably died somewhere on the floor. Some shrimps tend to do that for some reason. They should know better to stay in the water. Sucks that you spent $32 for a shrimp and it died on you. Hopefully it's still in your tank, if not, sorry man. My skunk cleaner shrimp died on me for no reason the other day!?!? It was perfectly fine in the morning and when I came home from work, it was dead. How weird is that? Everything seems fine. waters fine. maybe it was just time for it to go =(

I find it hard to believe that your shrimp fashioned a rope outta socks or torn bed sheets and repealed down the back......my shrimp hangs out near the surface, but bolts anytime I get him near the surface.

What sort of cleaner crew do you have? I've had 4" fish die and I never found the body!!!!!! Crabs and snails are ruthless!

Quantumfusion

Maybe he just crawled into a hole in the live rock. ANy of those holes large enough. My one friend has not seen his in 6 month only to find them agian. It might be in there and you do not see it.

Just a thought,

Kevin

many shrimp tend to molt after you first intro them into a system. it could be hiding still within one of the rocks (unlikely imo tho) or one (or more) of the hermits took advantage of its weakened state of mid-molt and offed it. the rest probably joined in the feast. :(

like quantum suggests, it could turn up later if it has found a sufficiently good hiding spot. have you checked with the lights off? the blood shrimp prefers the dark & deep (hence its coloration).

I did see a small red piece lying around the tank the other day. My 2 red-hermits are about 1 inch and the 6 blue-hermits or like micro size. It would really suck if it really got eaten. :(

The first shrimp I had molted and left a perfect image of himself lying on the bottom of the tank. I said (and I quote), 'Crap!!" and flushed him. I saw neither hide nor hair of him for week, and then he scared the bejesus out of me by showing up again.

SHRIMP UNDEAD!! A SHRIMP MESSIAH RISEN FROM THE GRAVE!!

After some therapy, I dropped my new religion, and life returned to normal.

You have a nice looking tank, btw :)

If it seemed to vanish without a trace like you describe, it may have molted and will be hiding for a few days. On top of that fire shrimp are one of the more shy shrimp, and you may only see him hiding in a cave down near the bottom of the tank. Take a look around the whole tank, front and back if possible before writing him off. It really is a lot more likely than it jumping/climbing out. Also, when you have inverts that molt, you'll need to make sure there is enough iodine/iodide in your tank, but don't overdo it since that can have toxic consequences. Most supliments will have the correct/recommended dosage, and you can find tales of woe from people that followed the if a little is good, a LOT is much better school of thought on additives. I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head, but I think Xenia is a good indicator of if you have enough iodine in your tank.

As far the person with the comment about, "thier own shotty water conditions". Is this more an insight that they don't teach spelling or manners when U ar Hoem skewled? Or did you have some insight that you didn't share about why you can attribute the disappearance of one specific animal to water conditions from what was originally posted?

Archived