SaltCritters.com

My First Saltwater Tank - 12G Aquapod

smarcus3

How do you like my tank: (1 is worst; 5 is best)  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Your rating:

• 1 - Worst
    • 3 - Average
    • 5 - Best

gulfsurfer101

Nice BTA, I like the pink tips on that thing. It looks better than my RBTA. I never understood why those things are so much money anyways. Your tank looks like mine with all the rock in there. I just transferred everything from an AP24 into the 12g AP and it looks like I have way more stuff. If I were you the next thing I would focus on would be tracking one of the 70w sunpods they make for these tanks on the classifieds so that way you know that nem is getting the light it needs and you can add some SPS stuff in there later. Goodluck with your tank.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice BTA, I like the pink tips on that thing. It looks better than my RBTA. I never understood why those things are so much money anyways. Your tank looks like mine with all the rock in there. I just transferred everything from an AP24 into the 12g AP and it looks like I have way more stuff. If I were you the next thing I would focus on would be tracking one of the 70w sunpods they make for these tanks on the classifieds so that way you know that nem is getting the light it needs and you can add some SPS stuff in there later. Goodluck with your tank.

Yeah, I want to get a sun pod, but I just need more money. I have been scouring ebay and such for one.

This morning I noticed that once of my snails decided to abandon his shell and has started to grow a new one on his back. Right now the shell looks like a turtle shell and it looks kinda funny. Is this common?

Also won't it be kinda dangerous to upgrade to a sunpod since my fire fish is know to try to jump out of the tank.

Indeed, but you can put eggcrate over the top to prevent that. I can't recall if a glass top is made for the 12g Aquapod, I know there's one for the 24g model. But save your pennies and keep your eyes peeled on Ebay and also the classifides here and something will come up eventually.

Indeed, but you can put eggcrate over the top to prevent that. I can't recall if a glass top is made for the 12g Aquapod, I know there's one for the 24g model. But save your pennies and keep your eyes peeled on Ebay and also the classifides here and something will come up eventually.

a glass top would be sweet. Ill keep my eyes open for one.

I think its been about a week since my last post and my colt coral has really started to grow. It is huge. Also my zoanthids have about 2 more polyps in their colony.

Also I am upgrading my tank to have MH light in it. I just bout a 500 watt halogen shop light from Home Depot and just ordered a MH HQI 70 watt 14K bulb. Hopefully it will get here soon so I am get better lighting for everything in my tank.

Here are a few pics:

DSC03840.jpg

DSC03841.jpg

DSC03842.jpg

DSC03843.jpg

DSC03844.jpg

Some coraline is finally starting to grow in the tank. YES.

DSC03845.jpg

DSC03846.jpg

DSC03847.jpg

• 7 months later...

this tank is now back in my home for the summer and everything is growing great. The only issue I currently have is a slight hair algae outbreak, but 10 new nerite snails and 2 emerald crabs should control this nicely I hope.

After moving my tank to my new home my fish (1 firefish and 2 blue green chromis) are always hiding and sometimes don't come out even during feeding times. What could be wrong. I have had all of them for maybe 7 months and nothing like this has ever happened. One of the chromis is also getting darker and not as bright as he used to be.

I get some new zoas today and a hitch hiker scallop i believe. Can anyone identify it?? It has green little fingers coming from its mouth.

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

I have 3 of these HH scallops. One has light green fingers, one has red, and the other has a tongue its sticks out to collect food. I'm sad to say I don't know much about them and was actually trying to find more info on them when I stumbled on to this forum. They all came on my zoa colony as well. The one with a tongue is encrusted on live rock and it looks like it built a calcium shell over its main shell. There is a little hole which I can see the scallop shell moving and sticking it's tongue out.

• 1 month later...

i just got a coralife super skimmer 65 for my tank. Its breaking in right now and seems to make real fine bubbles in the skimmer. Hopefully it will work great.

Here are some pics of the new Coralife Super Skimmer 65. It seems to be working great so far. It lets no microbubbles into the tank even WITHOUT the large bubble collector on the outlet. :)

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hey smarcus, seems like we both started our tanks at about the same time. Check out my tank thread for some more info on my build (link's in the sig).

First off, I like the look of your tank. The LR looks really nice and I'd really like to see some of the newer pictures now that some considerable time has passed. Also, congrats on the skimmer... I almost got the coralife but instead ended up with the seaclone, which sucks. I suppose it's doing okay for now, but not one of my better purchases.

It looks like that colt coral (kenya tree) has really grown a lot. I started with one of those and just last week I tore out like 7 or 8 of them because they were taking over my tank dropping fragments everywhere!

Anyways, glad that your fish are doing well, how is the anemone doing? I didn't see it in the last pics...

pics should now be there sorry.

Hey smarcus, seems like we both started our tanks at about the same time. Check out my tank thread for some more info on my build (link's in the sig).

First off, I like the look of your tank. The LR looks really nice and I'd really like to see some of the newer pictures now that some considerable time has passed. Also, congrats on the skimmer... I almost got the coralife but instead ended up with the seaclone, which sucks. I suppose it's doing okay for now, but not one of my better purchases.

It looks like that colt coral (kenya tree) has really grown a lot. I started with one of those and just last week I tore out like 7 or 8 of them because they were taking over my tank dropping fragments everywhere!

Anyways, glad that your fish are doing well, how is the anemone doing? I didn't see it in the last pics...

thanks for the compliments and your tank looks great. I really enjoy me tank, but have to move it approximately every 3 months because i flip between a semester of school and my coop (internship).

I acctually moved the mother colt to my 120G so that it has more room to grow. Its gotten huge and i have about a dozen babies in my tank.

The coralife is doing great and have added a few mods to it. :)

The BTA died b/c my tank was too new. However I got a condy anemone which seems to be doing well.

I just got done moving my tank over 12hrs away to college from my house. Everything seemed to go well. There is only one coral that has a very small section of it that has died off. :)

Pics coming tomorrow

Archived