Top Shelf Aquatics

Moving into a bigger tank

frozenapple

Right now I have a 20 gallon I would like to know how to start my 75's water without actually setting the tank up.

Any ideas will be of help!

Thanks

I want the tank in the same spot as were the 20 gallon is. So I want to be able to have the water ready take the 20 gallon down and set up the 75 gallon with cycles water.

I just switched from a 50 to a 120 this past weekend. Start by either purchasing around 50 gallons of saltwater or mixing your own with a powerhead at least a day in advance. You also need a holding tank (5 or 10 gallon tank) for any fish and/or corals you have. Then, Home Depot has these Tuff containers (or something like that). They are black in color with locking lids. They hold up to 27 gallons of water and 700 lbs. They cost $16.99. Get 2 of those, take out your live rock and place in one of those containers, then drain some of your tank water onto that one (enough to cover live rock). Drain the rest of the tank water onto the other container. If you have sand, scoop it up and place it in a bucket (HD has those on sale for $2.69). Move your existing tank and replace with new tank. Once you have everything in place where you want it - check and check and then triple check this part (I had to move my tank full and it weighed over 2000 lbs!!!), put in the live rock, sand and then add your salt water (the new batch and the existing water). I would wait to put in your fish until the tank has somewhat settled (at least a day), but once you are ready to put them in, make sure you acclimate them to the new water by either placing a drip line from the new tank into their holding tank or by bagging them.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Archived